Medical advice, please!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mike ansberry, Jun 27, 2012.

1. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    I had a cystoscope and needle biopsy today. The Doc said I shouldn't play the horn for 4 days. I'm thinking nice, easy long tones in the middle range wouldn't hurt me, and might help me keep a small amount of embouchure going. Would this be a bad thing for me to do?

2. Bay Area Brass

Bay Area Brass Piano User

Mar 2, 2007
    San Francisco
    I wouldn't play if your doctor said not to- a few days off won't hurt you. Playing too soon may- I would play it safe :)

3. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    Yes, it would be a bad thing to do. The muscles in the perinium(genitourinary) area are sensitive to increased abdominal pressure when we take deep breaths.
    "Take it easy. take it easy, don't let the sounds of your own wheels(horns) drive you crazy."

4. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Yeah, play it safe. Follow what the Doc says. He wouldn't have said not to play if there wasn't a reason. We would rather have you playing in 4 days that missing a lot longer due to a complication.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Listen to your doctor. If he said 4 days, stay off for 4 days. And if you don't... are you familure with the concept of bleeding? If that happens then cautery... then another 5-7 days off. So again, listen to the good doctor.

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Come on baby
    Don't say maybe, listen to you doc's (in person or here) or you may not play for a while!

7. krmanning

krmanning Pianissimo User

Apr 18, 2009
    Fayetteville, NC
    It is really all in the details, and the important details are specifics of the biopsy that you probably do not know. The last thing you probably want to happen would be some serious complication that might take much longer than 4 days to heal. Please listen to your urologist on this one.

Doctor by day, trumpet player wannabe by night (and weekends)

Harrelson Bravura (L1B1) B-flat
    Harrelson Bravura (L1B1) C
    Selmer Radial B-flat
    Conn Vintage 1 B-flat
    Getzen 800 cornet
    Kanstul 920 picc
    Hub van Laar Oiram ack flugel

and a 12-ft long Alphorn (looking for an upgrade)

8. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Well, 4 days is by no means going to make you a comeback player.....when you come back after only 4 days!
    Hey, I know people who haven't played for 30, 40, even 84 years!!! well, they never played, but even so, 4 days, that's small in comparison!:D