Medical FAQs for Trumpet Players

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by DrDave, Sep 6, 2013.

1. DrDave

DrDave Piano User

Nov 26, 2004
    Vancouver, BC
    I have begun posting a series of brief articles dealing with medical FAQs for brass players. I am preparing to present on the same topic at the ITG 2014 and thought it would be useful to share some of the information in advance.

You can find the posts on the right sidebar of the Wedge webpage. I will post a few times a week. If you want to get regular updates you can Like Wedge Mouthpieces on Facebook and you will get links to the updates as they are made.

The first few posts deal with what brass players should know about dental injuries. Topics will include a wide range of relevant medical issues. Posts will be archived on the Wedge News page.

Wedge link - Harrison Wedge Mouthpiece

Facebook link - https://www.facebook.com/WedgeMouthpiece

2. bamajazzlady

bamajazzlady Mezzo Forte User

May 16, 2011
    About time someone addressed medical issues for brass players

3. eviln3d

eviln3d Pianissimo User

Jun 5, 2013
    I suspect many are interested in medical facts, but in all honesty, the appearance that you are selling a product to protect me from these things gives me cause to take everything with more than a grain of salt. Would be nice to find unbiased information.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Ahhh I've been doing it here on TM for years now. We've seen allergic reaction to lips, ear wax blocking the ear canal, muscle strain, stress reactions, drug reactions, hypersensitivity pneumonitis and yes even hypertrophic cardiomyopathy - diagnosed that myself right here on TM. By the way, the PM function is a nice feature to keep this information confidential.

Hey... TrumpetMD... You've made some diagnoses too here on TM, right?

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    And that is the function that gmonady and TrumpetMD serve here on TM... we have nothing to sell but our reputations.

By the way, I am Boarded Certified in Internal Medicine by the American Board of Internal Medicine, AND in Pediatrics by the American Board of Pediatrics. I also am the Cystic Fibrosis Adult Program Director for our Dayton, Ohio CF Clinic, serve on the CF Foundation Therapeutics and Development Network, serve as a Center Reviewer for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, am Associate Editor for American College of Physicians Journal Club, Protocol Reviewer for the Cochrane Colabration and past Editorial Board Member of American Academy of Pediatrics GrandRounds. I also have developed and participate in the "Music in Medicine" series, now in it's 5th year of symposiums that bring out medical issues specific to musicians. I have the experience that you can trust the information I provide.

6. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    Wow, you mean you aren't just claiming to be Marcus Welby??? ROFL
    Sorry...couldn't resist!!!

7. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Wow, you mean you aren't just claiming to be Marcus Welby???
    ----
    No, Ben Casey.
    But seriously, those are fine organizations and they do a lot of good. I too belong to many organizations but for another reason. I was sooo terrible as a young person that now I have to do a lot of good before I expire or I'll need to be buried in an asbestos jump suit.

8. AK-tpt

AK-tpt New Friend

Sep 6, 2012
    Over the years, I have heard about how so many trumpet players die of heart trouble. I've heard that high note trumpet playing tends to deposit cholesterol in the vessels. John Clyman told me some of this when he was five weeks out of his coronary bypass surgery back in the '70s. In my mind I identify these problems with any/most conventional approaches to playing.

The apparent difference in effort and stress is one reason I find myself attracted to what Jerome Callet, and others like him, have to say. I am starting over after a 25-year layoff because of this new opportunity to play again.

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    It is just my thought that if you really enjoy playing there is no more stress than reading a novel ... and none of my Docs contribute my playing to my cardiology or pulmonary health issues ... only genetics and a bad habit.

10. -C-

-C- Pianissimo User

Jul 13, 2011
    And a pretty darn good trumpet player to boot.