Medical FAQs for Trumpet Players

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by DrDave, Sep 6, 2013.

1. DrDave

DrDave Piano User

Nov 26, 2004
    Vancouver, BC
    It seems I have stepped on a few toes by posting here on this topic. I will refrain from doing so in future. As for selling a product, it is true that I make mouthpieces. However, if anyone were to check the actual information provided you will not find any suggestion that the Wedge mouthpiece is a remedy for any of the problems discussed.

2. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    I'm not a doctor but I can play one on any blog... :D

3. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    And thank you for spelling it out instead of serving the atrocious alphabet soup of which too many are so fond (RNs unfortunately love it).

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    We don't want to disrespect you, but come on--how many trumpeters suffer from a medical malady caused by trumpet playing? None of us find fault with you, but your topic seems to be one of minor importance.

5. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    If it helps, I passed my Boy Scout First Aid Badge. OK, it was 50 years ago, but it's like riding a bike, right?

6. Bochawa!!!

Bochawa!!! Forte User

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    This much is true. I checked it out with some interest because I struggle with teeth issues thanks to a bike accident in the 70's.

What is also true is that Dr. Dave is a practising medical doctor who doesn't need to sell anybody a mouthpiece in order to make a living. The Wedge was developed to solve a problem and shared to provide a service. I believe the company to be driven by Dr. Dave's personal interest in mouthpiece design and not a charlatan's desire to separate unsuspecting trumpet players from their money. It wouldn't surprise me if you were to check his books if you found he was actually making mouthpieces at a loss or with an extremely small profit margin.

There are people who post in these forums who do deserve, and bring upon themselves, ridicule and disrespect and honestly have it coming (rightly or wrongly). Dr. Dave is not one of them. I have not purchased a Wedge, nor am I likely to, but I do hope Dr. Dave continues to post here.

7. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    Now turn your head and cough.....

8. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

Keep posting! Some famous trumpet players had their careers cut short from medical issues due to trumpeting .... It's a worthy subject. However, I'd bet that most people who post on here don't practice enough to hurt themselves. :-P

Turtle

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    ... AND this won't hurt ME a bit.

10. DrDave

DrDave Piano User

Nov 26, 2004
    Vancouver, BC
    Thanks Bochawa!!!. Your assessment is more or less accurate.

Things happen to trumpet players. They get Bell's palsy and have a greater chance of permanent facial paralysis because they delay getting on medication. They get a tooth knocked out and it cannot be replanted because they do not handle it properly. They return to playing too soon after surgery and suffer the consequences. They get bad advice from players who know nothing about medicine, and from doctors who know nothing about trumpet playing. My intention was to prevent some of those things.

My credentials are posted on the ITG website. David Harrison | International Trumpet Guild. For those of you who have recently Liked my posts, or who have thought I made valuable contributions to this forum in other areas I will be continuing my activities on Facebook and the Trumpet Herald forum.