Medical FAQs for Trumpet Players

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by DrDave, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit

Bad form eviln3rd.

Dr. Dave does make mouthpieces, true. He doe not push them as medical solutions. They are not his source of making a living.
    His advice has always been very good.

I fear we have lost a very valuable member here at TM.

It's tough to lose the good people who can help others.

I would worry about Dave Monette hyping curry, or yoga too, after all he sells mouthpieces AND expensive horns.

A bad day here at TrumpetMaster.

I may also rethink my value to this forum.

2. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi Dr.Dave,
    You stated:
    "Things happen to trumpet players".
    --------------
    They get Bell's palsy and have a greater chance of permanent facial paralysis because they delay getting on medication".
    --------------
    Permanent facial paralysis because the trumpet player didn't get prompt help.
    --------------
    They get a tooth knocked out and it cannot be replanted because they do not handle it properly.
    --------------
    Behavior that's against medical orders
    --------------
    They return to playing too soon after surgery and suffer the consequences.
    --------------
    Behavior that's against medical orders
    --------------
    They get bad advice from players who know nothing about medicine, and from doctors who know nothing about trumpet playing.
    --------------
    Will look anywhere to get the problem fixed quickly
    --------------
    My intention was to prevent some of those things.
    --------------
    Good luck buddy. I only see two possible ways:
    1.You'll need to come up with a serum that increases common sense.
    2. A shock collar that goes off when the trumpet player comes within 15 feet of their horn.
    A dedicated trumpet player is easily their own worse enemy during times of physical damage or illness. Just ask Louis, Hubbard or Mendez. By the way, if you do come up with this serum, can you float me a quart as I sure could use it. I've played a hundred times when I shouldn't have and am sure I'll be a victim of such behavior in the future.
    Dr.Mark

Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
  3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Dr. Dave, I wish you would have told us you are a Physician at the outset. Had you done that, our members would have been less skeptical. Part of the problem is that things like loosing a tooth or suffering from the Satchmo Syndrome are flat out rare. Because of that, a "F.A.Q" is an oxymoron.

4. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    Well.....
    This thread makes me really sad.
    Another good member chased from TM.
    I'll take a break too.
    Please continue "having fun"..

5. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Hey Dr. Dave. Thanks for sharing the helpful information.

I agree that medical issues for trumpet players might be a "minor" issue for some people ... until it happens to them.

Mike

gmonady likes this.
  6. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi Nordlands,
    You stated:
    "Well.....
    This thread makes me really sad.
    Another good member chased from TM.
    I'll take a break too.
    Please continue "having fun"..
    --------------------------------
    Well if that ain't a bag of worms!
    Come on guys. I use to have a bumpersticker that said "Mean People Suck! However, in such a litigious society, I figured "Mean" might now be a protected class so I lopped off the "mean" part and now it says "People Suck"
    While this is probably true, it's better than hanging around the alternative, chimps.
    Chimps suck and throw poop!! People (at least most of them) don't physically throw poop.
    Dr.Mark

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Maybe so, but any actor that does (that I have knowledge of) uses a script that has been written with the technical advice of a true physician in the appropriate specialty and even that is scrutinized by many others, possibly even the A.M.A.

8. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Yeah but taken differently "mean people suck". The statement is the average person sucks, now if I could only remeber what mode and median meant.

9. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    Me too, but they kicked me out when I was caught eating a Brownie.....that was 40 years ago....you're dead on about the bike thing, though.

10. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi Cornyandy,
    Yo0u stated:
    "The statement is the average person sucks, now if I could only remember what mode and median meant".
    ----
    You're in luck!! Mode and Median are averages too. If you want to be fancy, you could say they are all Measures of Central Tendancy. Mode is the number that shows up the most, median is the middle number when you put the numbers in order. I remember it from sadistics...errr.. I mean statistics.
    Dr.Mark