Medical FAQs for Trumpet Players

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by DrDave, Sep 6, 2013.

1. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    Here’s a health concern for you medical trumpet players, Gmonady, Dr. Mark, Dr. Dave and others,
    When guys play lead trumpet, girls want to meet and talk to us, furthermore my own girlfriend says things to me like “ I can’t wait to get you home”, ( I have no idea why she says this, she must get tired easily). For protection against the elements should I be using Chop Saver, Carmex, or lanolin based lip protection after I play, before I play, or both, have you experienced this and are there any chronic or latent effects I should be concerned with ? Thank you so much !

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    If I understand the subject of the question, none of the products you mention will protect you from the "elements". When the girls "...can't wait to get you home"... they may not be tired initially... and in that situation, you ABSOLUTELY want to concentrate on wearing a different kind of protection on a separate anatomical part.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    From my experience, a'natural works best... no artficial lip products do anything to enhance the experience.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Of course some would say, better latent than never.

OR

The only thing worse than Dyspareunia is Nopareunia.

5. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    The good Doctor has spoken ! ;-)

6. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    As Dr.Gspot sez: "a'natural". I only add that top shelf lubrication is earned and can not be purchased.
    Chronic/latent after effects? After a vigourous performance, you may be a little less, well... chubby.
    With that said, be sure to stay hydrated while you perform your solo works for those who need a little extra after the show.
    Dr.Mark

7. bamajazzlady

bamajazzlady Mezzo Forte User

May 16, 2011
    As for stepping on toes, this is the era of HSPs and because of a few here, you don't need to refrain from bringing attention to medical issues concerning trumpeters as they are worth knowing.

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I'd like us to get a bit more on track here. I contacted Dr. Dave, and we agreed to disagree. His response was that everybody should have known he was a physician, by clicking on his user name to get to his profile page, or from the "Dr." attached to his user name. He suggested that since we have our own MD's here, that some weird sort of a "turf war" was taking place.

My opinion is that the best advice when dealing with a physical malady is to see a doctor. We know something is wrong, even if we don't know exactly what it is. I never knew what a mallet finger is until I got one. (I am a typical guy in that I don't ask directions and wait a week for things to clear up on their own before seeing a doctor and squirm under the Why didn't you come in sooner? lecture.)

I would much rather attend a lecture on the psychology and physiology of trumpet playing rather than the pathology of trumpet playing.

9. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    I would hope DrDave doesn't extrapolate a relatively few negative comments/questions to be indicative of all members. I do, however, clearly recall an instance where his medical credentials were publicly questioned by some newbie member - exactly the kind of sophomoric antics that can chase off TM members.

10. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I wonder if Gary's new nickname is going to stick? :-)

Thanks for Vulgano's reply.

I see no problem with polite disagreements.

I hope no one felt there was a turf war here. I think Dr. Dave's insight is invaluable.

I also agree that you should see a doctor when something is wrong. On the internet, any advice sought or given should be limited to general questions and general principles. Dr. Dave's FAQ is very appropriately along the lines of general principles, which is great.

Vulgano and I have something in common -- I also have a mallet finger, from in injury earlier this year. No fun. :-(

Mike