Medical FAQs for Trumpet Players

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by DrDave, Sep 6, 2013.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I LIKE it!!

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Make that 3 here on TM with mallet finger. I got mine sliding into second base while playing little league ball. Now that I play in the "big leagues", I find that Mallet Finger helps me get to third base. Juuussst the right amount of curve.... Nudge, nudge, say no more...

Another health capsule provided by your Dr. Gspot.

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Mine was on the middle of my right hand, so it was fun making a fist while wearing the splint. I could finger my piston-valved trumpets just fine but the rotaries were much harder to play. No Arban's exercises for about six weeks.

4. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    It's tough having the injury on your right hand -- your playing hand.

Mine happened this past March. It was my left pinky finger. It's still healing, and bothers me a little if I hold my trumpet a certain way.

Mike

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Mine is middle finger, left hand. Can do some crazy things on the Hammond-B3 with it.

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I was lucky that mine healed nicely (despite taking the splint off to shower). I'm curious, TrumpetMD and Spotty G-Man ;-), does the trumpet have any diseases exclusively? Brass instruments?

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I had to research what a "mallet finger" was, and now that I know, my wife had one last year on her right pinky and it seemed crude how the Doc rigged it with a tongue depressor splint extending about 3" beyond her finger and then secured a stretched wide rubber band crazy glued to her finger nail to the tip of the depressor but his method worked ... along with Lortab pain relief. Her finger is now straight again and flexible at that joint. She doesn't know how it occurred at work, but that is when she felt it.

8. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
  9. shooter

shooter Piano User

Jan 12, 2007
    VA
    Well....now that all the doctors are in one place, I've been having this problem with my arm. If I hold a cup of coffee (or a cold brew) for any length of time, and go to straighten my arm out, my bicep screams. I'm wondering if this condition, whatever it may be, possibly came from playing.

Oh, and sometimes my ring finger and pinky feel tingly.....maybe unrelated because that's both arms.....especially if I'm resting on my elbow.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Specific to brass, these instruments serve as culture environments to mycobacterium (tuberculosis family) of bacteria, and fungus. This can cause hypersensitivity pneumonitis in individuals that have a high immune reaction to these organisms.