Medical FAQs for Trumpet Players

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by DrDave, Sep 6, 2013.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    This sounds like tetany. The condition is caused by over acting muscle fiber either due to fatiguing muscle (like holding out an object with extending the arm) or low calcium, magnesium, carbon dioxide (from hyperventilation) or excess phosphate. It is unlikely that playing the trumpet causes this, unless you notice this while holding the trumpet. This is the beauty if the Olds Recordings in the valve case up forward as it eases the angle of holding the trumpet, leading to less fatigue.

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    The tingly pinky sounds more like nerve entrapment, kinda like carpel tunnel which can be made worse in individuals with diabetes, hypothyroidism, or individuals that have repetitive movements with their wrists.

3. shooter

shooter Piano User

Jan 12, 2007
    VA
    Yes. That's when I first noticed....while playing for awhile, then trying to bring my horn down to rest. Once I get it down, I'm good. It's just the actual motion of straightening out. ouch!! Left arm BTW

4. KentRosebrook

KentRosebrook New Friend

Dec 13, 2013
    Wait till he gets to the mental issues. We all know they come to hear the trumpet, not the oboe

5. fels

fels Piano User

Jun 8, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    i did not read all the posts - kind of like reading all of the letters to the editor - lots of repetition- but the topic is one that i have thought about for a long time.

I am 64. i have played trumpet since 5th grade. In my late 20s i was diagnosed with ankylosing spondylitis (no hippa privacy here). This is an auto-immune issue that attacks the spine. One common consequence is restricted chest expansion. I have found that my chest expansion is modestly reduced as i age, but is probably above normal for other AS progressions. I credit this to playing Trumpet (and working out regularly-but that is hand in hand - playing trumpet is a work out). So i offer this as a testament to the beneficial qualities of playing trumpet. My breath control is not quite as good as it used to be. I also suspect that AS may impact my high register since i have some issues with "air stream" etc.. But i think of the alternative universe and i am very grateful that i have played trumpet for 51+ years.