Medical Problem..?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Jazzy816, Dec 16, 2014.

1. Jazzy816

Jazzy816 Pianissimo User

Jun 5, 2013
    USA
    Hello all,

This thought occurred to me the other day and I wanted to share it with the TM folks. Around age 11 I had a pharyngeal flap procedure done on me. There is really no easy way to explain this, so I would ask you to look up a quick definition or diagram. I was just wondering, if anyone thinks that this could either be a hindrance or advantage to trumpet playing, or neither. It's just something not a lot of people have, much less trumpet players, and I was wondering if anyone had any insight on this.

Thanks!

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It is impossible to predict. There are so many other factors. Lip tissue damage does not have to be a limiting factor. Look up the history of Bud Herseth. He had an accident that damaged his lip tissue, switched to a bigger mouthpiece and many centuries later finished his career still as solo trumpet player of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra.

If you can play well, I wouldn't worry about it.

3. tpopbop

tpopbop New Friend

May 1, 2012
    Neither. Almost all physical limitations can be overcome with some adjustments, as Herseth, Maggio and others have done in the past. While I wouldn't say these physical limitations are a blessing by any means, they are case studies in *determination*. I think that's the key ingredient in success at not only the trumpet, but just about anything of value in life.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    The flap procedure was likely performed to treating sleep apnea. This keeps the airway open when sleeping (in a non-conscious state). The pharynx is far removed from the embouchure and involves innervation quit different than the cranial nerves responsible for fine motor control used in trumpet playing, so I highly doubt this would have effected trumpet playing... unless of course you play in your sleep... which could then be an enhancement. Sweet dreams!

coolerdave likes this.
  5. Jazzy816

Jazzy816 Pianissimo User

Jun 5, 2013
    USA
    Suppose I probably should have stated the purpose in the original post.. sorry! I was born with a cleft palate (no lip involvement thank God). This was to fix something having to do with airflow/air escaping while I talked.