medical procedure

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Uncle Dave, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Uncle Dave

Uncle Dave Pianissimo User

Jul 7, 2008
    Weyburn, Sk., Canada
    I am about to undergo a prostatectomy, surgical method, and am told that I will be very "sensitive" to effort for a while. Anybody here had their prostate out and been able to go back to playing? I'm kinda liking my trumpets and do
    not really want to lay off for a long while. But I also want to be able to be around people, without accidents.

Any feedback out there?

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Actually, if you keep your playing in the staff and at moderate volumes, trumpet playing can be very low impact. It may be an opportunity to work on the more intimate side of your playing.

I would avoid playing concerts. There you have to do what you have to do - not always good.

Other than that, the pencil exercize is very useful as is playing the fingerings without blowing in the horn.

3. krmanning

krmanning Pianissimo User

Apr 18, 2009
    Fayetteville, NC
    Coming from a trumpet player (hobby) and a doctor (professionally)...

It all depends. If you ask your surgeon, he'll probably say wait 6 weeks. Surgeons say 6 weeks for everything.

But, if you are feeling OK, you should be able to play low and mid-range stuff, soft to moderate volume, right after you get home. Don't try anything that you really need to push air a lot of air through the horn for 2-3 weeks. You should avoid any valsalva - like increase in abdominal pressure until the wound healing is far enough along, and that's really a couple of weeks.

And keep in mind the basic idea that if it hurts, it probably isn't a good thing yet.

Good luck. Hope it goes well.

4. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Thank you for your advixe, Doctor.

Please fell free to offer any advice when members ask, as we tell people; "We don't know, ask a doctor."

5. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Good advice from the docs and Rowuk. On another thread we just were reminded of Rafael Mendez concept that playing should present no more strain than "ordinary conversation." My guess is whatever playing you can do with that kind of effort (or lack thereof) is likely harmless, but listen to your body, that's the only ultimate authority.

6. Tom W.

Tom W. New Friend

Aug 16, 2009
    sterling IL USA
    Good luck with the proceedure. I had mine done about six years ago, and started playing again as soon as I felt up to it. (I had to recover from an infection I picked up in the hospital, so it took me about a month to get there. I did find that playing came back on line pretty easily and I hope it does for you too. God bless! Just don't be in too much of a hurry; you WILL get back on track--just be patient and don't slow your progress by doing too much too fast.

7. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    My Dad had his done some years ago and was never able to play the trumpet afterwards - but then he couldn't play it before surgery either ROFL.

My doctor is always saying to me, that as we age we need to do two things - listen to the old body it's a wise old beasty :thumbsup:, and take time do something for yourself :play::bravo::zzz::wub: (play, drink, sleep, love).

All jokes aside - take it easy and look after yourself :cool:.

8. Uncle Dave

Uncle Dave Pianissimo User

Jul 7, 2008
    Weyburn, Sk., Canada
    Thank you all for your kind advice. I was feeling I might not be able to play after, but am
    much reassured after your posts. It's good to hear from survivors. You all take care of yourselves, too.

Uncle Dave

9. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Uncle Dave...all joking aside, I know I speak for all of us when I say our prayers will remember you. Best wishes on your surgery. Dont worry about your hammer, it will miss you just as much as you will miss it. Great advice has already been given on the right time to play again. Do it if it feels right and proceed cautiously at first.