Medicine vs Trumpet playing (any doctors here?)

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Kantza, May 16, 2015.

1. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    1. Speak with your Doctor.
    2. Tell him your problems.
    3. Take his advice, and follow his instructions.

Long term health is better than a short term loss of range.
    BTW what is your normal range?
    How long have you been playing?

Lastly, don't give up.

2. Kantza

Kantza Pianissimo User

May 28, 2012
    Belgium
    I'm 22 years old now, wpw started when I was about 8. Good for you that the attacks suddenly stopped.
    Well, I've already had 3 ablations, and it's still there...

From yours and other people's reaction I decided I'll just have to talk about it with my MD, in the end that's the only thing I can do...

3. Kantza

Kantza Pianissimo User

May 28, 2012
    Belgium
    My normal (very comfortable range) is up to the first A above the staff. But normally I can play up to C above that.
    Now on the D in the staff I start feeling there is something wrong with my lips.

I only play for 2,5 years now, but I'm very passionated about playing the trumpet and play alot

4. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    I suppose the good news is that you have a good usable range, and I can understand your frustration at being stuck at a D. If you can keep your chops playing long tones, and maybe look at the Cat Anderson Method while you are in the lower register, until you get the range back. There is probably a good maintenance method around, and some TM members will surely help you with better info than what I can offer.

BUT, I would certainly be speaking with your MD first, then go from there.
    Good luck

5. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Perhaps you might contact gmonady directly. He's the foremost medical and trumpet guru within these sacred halls. And he's a guy who travels a lot - perhaps the two of you could meet somewhere (at least you're on Earth, and not somewhere else in the Universe).

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    What is always interesting for me is that when something collapses we ask questions about things that we probably never "owned".

I advocate a daily routine to keep playing well grounded. Easy long tones, tunes and lip slurs! When things go south, we can quantify what is wrong. My suggestion is not to research medicine (let YOUR doc do that), rather research YOUR daily playing habits. Reduce to a standard program every day and then maintain for a couple months. After that you should have a view about what is going on!

DO NOT CHANGE ANYTHING IN YOUR PRACTICE ROUTINE EXCEPT PERHAPS THE ORDER.

7. Kantza

Kantza Pianissimo User

May 28, 2012
    Belgium
    deleted post