Medics, please!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by barliman2001, Jun 22, 2014.

1. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    I've had a harrowing six weeks... starting with an orchestra weekend, where I was supposed to play a full big band evening's programme, about eight pieces in a symphony setting as first chair, and then Torelli's concert in D as soloist. Shortly after that weekend, quite a number of orchestra members (including me) developed some kind of respiratory problems, ranging from a slight cough (one viola player) to severe bronchitis (me). That was treated with antibiotics, and ten days later, it seemed to have gone away.
    A few days later, it reappeared as a slight cough... got worse despite antibiotics, and landed me in hospital for ten days with acute and severe pneumonia, including water in the lungs and all the trimmings 8antibiotic IVs, inhalations, whatever). I've just got out of hospital, am still undergoing antibiotics and still have a cough, and I am supposed to play that full orchestra programme in two weeks' time (including the solo).
    I've got a feeling that doing so would not be advisable. My doctor has no experience with trumpet playing, so I am asking all of you out there:
    Should I start practising for that concert (seeing I've had six weeks off), or should I cancel in time?

2. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    Go with your gut, it's your reputation on the line. If you think you can play it up to your standards, go for it, if you're having doubts, bow out. In my opinion, canceling or hiring a good quality sub in advance is much more professional than playing at a level less than you expect of yourself.

3. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    I'm going to suggest cancel. 2 weeks post hospitalization for pneumonia I felt like I was doing pretty well and played a scheduled concert. Luckily I had told the director that I would be there if I could and wouldn't if I couldn't so he had obtained a sub. I got there and both of us played--"just in case". The end result was I had run out of gas at the end of the concert and he had to take over completely. This may well take you quite some time to really get back on your feet. So, my advice (and I'm not a doctor, just someone who has had to deal with this) is take things slow and easy.

4. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Best wishes for a quick full recovery, barliman2001. I agree with prior posters about upcoming performance commitments.
    Jim

5. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    Another vote for cancel. Took me several weeks to get over pneumonia and that was just to feel ok breathing properly, no trumpet involved. Gmonady is the guy to ask, he claims to be a doctor. :cool:

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    The only gigs I ever backed out of were for bronchitis. Can't play (or practice) if you can't breathe. I'd bow out, despite it being a sweet gig!

7. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Thanks, guys! I've had the same feeling myself - and, with the additional hassle of being married tomorrow, I was thinking about canceling anyway (not the wedding, of course!).

8. robrtx

robrtx Mezzo Forte User

May 26, 2012
    Hawaii
    I'm guessing your fiance doesn't read this forum? Lol

Best wishes for a quick recovery!

9. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    I'd cancel both. Just to be safe. :lol:

10. Lionelsax

Lionelsax Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2013
    I've never felt ill while I'm playing, just before and a little bit after.