Medics, please!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by barliman2001, Jun 22, 2014.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    OK, now for something TOTALLY SERIOUS... SERIOUSLY

Keep practicing for the date (not referring to the wedding - that is a commitment). The trumpet is an excellent airway clearance device. Keeping the gig will motivate you to REALLY REALLY practice the horn, so you will have REALLY REALLY clear airways.

For the cough:

1) Get your physician to prescribe Tessalon Pearls - Take 1 pearl every 6 hours.
    2) Get your physician to prescribe albuterol MDI inhaler
    A. Take 2 puffs (spaced 5 minutes apart) twice daily
    B. After the albuterol puffs, take in nubulized inhaled hypertonic saline (again, your physician [der Artz] will need to call this in)
    i. Then have your significant other to pound your chest over the area of your pneumonia
    ii. Try to cough the goobers loosened by your partner up
    3) Then go play your horn... you got a gig date to make!

Yeah... I know... I'm good!!! Damned good!!!

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Barilman, sorry about the lateness of my advice. I just spent the weekend moving into a new house. Almost done!

3. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Very good advice!

Dr. R always has me pounding my chest. I usually give myself 100 pounds twice a day at least. Always a nice tingle for about 30 seconds when I stop!

ALSO

Learn HOW to use an inhaler! I always see people using them, just puffing it in their mouth like that's it!

1. Empty your lungs! EXHALE!!

2. Inhale deeply as you press the inhaler....breathe in as deeply as you can!

3. HOLD YOUR BREATH!!!!

4. If possible, after you hold your breat and the med takes, you will be able to inhale just a bit more....DO IT!!

Been on Albuterol or Ventlolin inhalers for over 30 years!

Good advice Doc!

4. Sidekick

Sidekick Mezzo Piano User

Apr 14, 2011
    London UK
    Now isn't that lovely; I say this because my first trumpet teacher was married to a professional soprano singer and my current teacher is also married to a full time soprano singer. Coincidence or conspiracy? - you decide!

Hope that the chest is feeling better Barliman and that the wedding was fabulous. Congratulations to you both.

5. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    I dated a Soprano for about a year.

6. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    It seems like the orchestra is where you picked up this nasty thing. Are you sure it is safe there now? Seriously, the hall could be contaminated, or someone in the group could be. Just sayin'...

ConnDirectorFan likes this.
  7. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    Tony Soprano? :cool:

8. trumpetguy27

trumpetguy27 Mezzo Piano User

May 30, 2008
    Maryland
    Slight revision:

9. cfkid

cfkid Pianissimo User

Jul 24, 2013
    Geez doc, why not just see the OP, get them an Rx for a ThAIRapy Vest and get them on pulmozyme while your at it. They do wonders for me.

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Prayers for your happiness and health.