Medium Bore Benges

Discussion in 'Horns' started by camelbrass, Mar 11, 2004.

1. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    Hi,

I've been toying with getting a medium bore trumpet as something to have in the arsenal. The older Bachs are of course an attractive option as is the M bore (#2???) Martin and of course the Conns... I've also come across a 1X Benge but can never even remember seeing one let alone playing one. Has anybody got any experience with them?

Regards

Trevor

2. trptbenge

trptbenge Pianissimo User

Jan 15, 2004
    Atlanta
    Trevor,

I have never seen or played one. I used to know a guy who lived in Colorado that was as big a Benge fanatic as I was that played one.
    He was in his late 50's and found the medium bore more to his liking.
    He said it had a nice sound that blended well with the other trumpets in his community band & was easier to play then a ML bore.

I have friend here in Atlanta that bought a Medium Bore Bach from Rayburns Music in Boston which I have played. it plays great. He has a couple other Bachs and the Medium Bore Bach is the easiest to play. the sound is definitely big enough and it is not tight at all.

I have played pretty much every other Benge model and I always wanted to play a 1X. There was one on ebay a few weeks ago that, I don't believe sold. I didn't have the funds at that time. Unfortunately, the seller never relisted it.

Mike

3. camelbrass

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    Thanks Mike I'll keep my eyes open.

Regards

Trevor

4. camelbrass

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    Hey Mike,

That 1X has turned up on e-bay again. OK it's a Burbank horn but BIN $1500, not for me thanks!!!

Steve Dillard's got a nice gold plated Chicago (admittedly a late one) for $2,000 and $1500 gets a M bore NY Bach. I was looking for a 1X but that's a bit rich for me.

Though I guess somebody will step up to the plate.....perhaps.

Regards

Trevor

5. trptbenge

trptbenge Pianissimo User

Jan 15, 2004
    Atlanta
    Trevor, a little rich for my blood too. I wouldn't mind having one but not for that price. I think the Horntrader has two Chicago Benges. One he has listed for a while and much of the engraving is worn really bad. I have always wanted to have a Chicago, Burbank & LA Benge.

Mike

6. rhdroc

rhdroc Pianissimo User

Nov 17, 2003
    Central Pennsylvania
    I realize that you're looking for a 1X but I just wanted to let you know that I own a 2X (88XX) in silver-plate and it's a fine horn!! With a shallow piece, this horn really sails through the band. Now it doesn't quite match the fat core I get on my 1sZ/3RL but with considerably less work, you can get a very respectable sound out of it. Mine has a ML bore (.460) so it's a bit larger than the 1X.

At one time, I also owned a Benge 3X (9XXX) in gold-plate. For my needs, the 2X is the better player of the two Benges!!

---<Rick

7. camelbrass

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    Thanks for the reply Rick.

Those older Benges are magic...in a round about way it's the reason that I play the Kanstul Chicago..I can't get to play lots of horns before buying so I figured I could get a 'Benge' that I could be pretty sure was in good shape.

I was also sort of looking for a M bore horn to add to the stable then remembered the 1X. Don't see many about but that doesn't mean they're in particular demand. You don't see many M bore NY Bachs around either but they go for considerably less than ML or L bore ones (particularly L bore ones!!).

I haven't played a 2X either, I believe they're a little brighter and were the dance band favourite. Interesting you prefer it over the 3X..it has to be the most popular Benge made (although it seems that the 3X+ is the more coverted).

Thanks for the insight.

Regards

Trevor