Meeting TM members in person

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Kevin Whiting, Nov 6, 2015.

1. Kevin Whiting

Kevin Whiting Piano User

Apr 13, 2013
    Greendale, WI.
    I have never met in person, any TM members.......until last night.

Last night, I got the opportunity to play in concert band and swing band with Tom (VetPsychWars). A real pleasure to meet him, and I look forward to meeting more of you nuts out there!:-)

Got to see and hold his prized Buescher. Gotta say, gorgeous horn - stunning. Really impressed.

Anybody have some good stories - meeting TM members?

Tom, see you again next week?

Kevin

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Well, I met Tom at the Holiday Inn in Germantown a couple of years ago and again in June this year. I am in Menomenee Falls on business occasionally and he is a great guy to hang with. He also has some pretty cool horns!

Ed Carroll I met at a concert on Madiera a LONG time before there was TrumpetMaster. I am looking forward to the get together in Vienna next year.

3. Kevin Whiting

Kevin Whiting Piano User

Apr 13, 2013
    Greendale, WI.
    Oooo, next time you are in town, let's all get together. I would really enjoy that!

Kevin

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Kevin, I too had the great pleasure to meet Tom. Even put him up for the night while he traveled through Dayton. We had our own mini-trumpet hang. Tom is a great wealth of information, and a pleasure to host as a guest.

In addition to Tom, another TM members coming into the Dayton area from points out of the state that was a real pleasure to have met was Tobylou.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    One of the real benefits I have had on being on TM is meeting members that either come through the Dayton area, or while I am out and around touring with my quintet.

I have met several members from the Pittsburgh area while our band was a regular at a local club there, and even had a member FROM SPAIN come to hear my band in Pittsburgh AND to try out his Adams horn during a set.

I have connected personally with a large number of TM members (at least a dozen or so) here in Ohio through trumpet hangs, coming to gigs, or even going to their homes to socialize (and of course play each other's horns). I have as a result of these meetings had the opportunity to sub in bands, try out new horns, buy horns, share in work shops and concert settings, and in one case, even provide medical care. Being a member on TM has been life changing. I have grown as a medical professional significantly through networking opportunities, and the same is true as a musician in many ways through the networking here on TM. All my 16,000+ posts have been well worth it to yield such a large number of trumpet professionals that has truly enhanced my trumpet performance skills and knowledge.

By the way TrumpetMD, will be seeing you soon the first week in December. Always looking forward to having the chance gig with you when visiting Washington DC.

My REAL DREAM would be to meet Vulgano Brother.... Common VB you know you want to... (and not necessarily under the I-75/I-70 underpass for pharmacy detailing)

Finally, my highest respects go out to Rowuk. Of all the individuals I have ever experienced, he absolutely is the most gifted at communicating his message. He gets passionate responses in many cases, but this is because he has connected with that individual, and it is ALWAYS professional and constructive, whether the poster wants to hear it or not. But I hear it, loud and clear and it has made me a better person. Thanks Robin!

6. Churchman

Churchman Mezzo Piano User

Apr 26, 2012
    The thought that I might have met several of you, but don't know it, fascinates me. :-)

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    PS: A Truly Special Meeting

I have had the GREAT PLEASURE to have met Solar Bell. What an amazingly gifted and experienced professional. He has truly touched this life, and I have hopes this chance to personally share good times together happens again and again.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    BigDub... while I have you hanging on many of my walls in my home, even though we have yet to personally meet you know it's only a matter of time until our paths will cross.

9. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Maybe some of our Maryland/DC friends here on TM would like to join us on Sunday, December 6th? What do you think, Gary?

Mike

10. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I've met and know a number of members of both the TM and TH communities. Being in the Baltimore/DC area, there are a bunch of players here, so you bump into some folks from time to time, and I've hooked up a couple of meets with a couple of them.

Probably the most interesting meeting I've had was a chance meeting I had with Todd Davidson, the owner of the Trumpet Herald. (or at least he was - not sure if he still is.) Sometimes the world can be a pretty small place.

At the time I was on regular rotation drumming for the praise band at a church here in the Area called The MACC - Mid Atlantic Community Church. One of the guys I knew who was associated with the weekly audio production had told me that his wife's brother was a trumpet player and I didn't think much about it until he made a point to introduce us after church one Sunday when his brother-in-law was out visiting. Yep - Todd Davidson. I had been a very prolific poster for a while on the TH, and was even in the middle of a sort of a feud at one point where Todd hit me with the ban hammer temporarily. :oops: It was interesting to get to meet him in person, but we didn't get to chat much because at the time the church was still in a temporary setup, using the cafeteria/auditorium of a middle school, so we were in the middle of packing up after church.

Would irony be the right word to describe the fact that Todd knew me online from his trumpet forum, but that when we finally met and he heard me play music, it was drums, not trumpet?