Mega Monette Clearout!

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Tootsall, Apr 26, 2004.

1. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
  2. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Amazing ....

Lots and Lots of pennies.

I guess this is a way to spend $8K and you don't have to wait for your order like you do if your order it from Monette.

I have never played one ... I may never play one. We know they are made from a lot of Getzen parts. I just cannot see how they are worth that kind of money. For $8K you can buy a top-shelf Bb, C, and piccolo trumpet and have a lot of change.

But there must be something to them ... there is no lack of bids!

M&C

3. trumpetpimp

trumpetpimp Piano User

Dec 6, 2003
    Toronto
    Yeah, you could buy matching a Bb & C set from Leigh for that kind of money and still use your own mouthpieces! :-)

Does anyone else find it interesting that not only is he including mouthpieces with the instruments but ALL of his mouthpieces? It sure seems that way. 1 with the Eb and 2 with the C. That seems reasonable and actually rather thoughful, since you have to use the right pitched piece on Dave's horns, but 4 with the Bb!? I wonder if he's liquidating, or quitting the trumpet altogether.

Then again, maybe his cat told him Sheldon doesn't know what he's talking about. :lol:

4. MUSICandCHARACTER

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    It does look like a liquidation sale. I doubt anyone who owned Monettes is going to quit playing. Maybe needs a few bucks -- or figured with that kind of money he/she could buy some very nice horns and put a down payment on a house.

I have always thought the mouthpiece routine was funny anyway. You are only supposed to use them with Monette horns. -- but they sell them to any one and make a trombone line (but they don't make trombones).

Oh well ....

M&C

5. trumpetpimp

trumpetpimp Piano User

Dec 6, 2003
    Toronto
    I can understand why they do the mouthpiece thing. If you're selling horns at those prices boasting the things they do they're going to want to make sure that the horns play the way they expect them to. They test their horns so that the mouthpieces match the horns perfectly(I assume). Y'know that old thing about making sure there is a match from player to mouthpiece to horn.

I imagine it could be a bit of a marketing ploy but if their horns are so sophisticated they probably wouldn't play very well with a MP that isn't as sophisticated as their horns. Stuffing a 1C in a Monette would be probably yield horrible results.

I played Taylor flugel onece and didn't like it at all. It was stuffy and bright and I had no interest it in. Then the salesperson gave me the mouthpiece that came with the horn to try. It made a world of difference! It still wasn't for me but I could believe how much better the horn played with the mouthpiece that was intended for it.

6. MUSICandCHARACTER

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    That is interesting. No doubt the mouthpiece match makes a difference. But had you explored even more mouthpieces with the Taylor, you might have liked it even more (or maybe not).

I have built, and am continuing to build, a collection of mouthpieces for when I demo a horn. Of course I encourage people to play on their mouthpieces. But especially with the reverse leadpipe on the Olympus, sometimes the "old favorite" is not the best match.

Still the Monette policy of saying that their mouthpieces are only for their horns, and then sell them to everyone and have an acclimation guide (which is common sense anyway) is funny. Maybe good marketing, but funny. If they really believed that, they would only sell mouthpieces to Monette owners and the trombone line wouldn't exist.

Now they are pushing the Prana line. It helps to have played a regular Monette first since this is an advanced one. Great marketing. Buy a mouthpiece for a over $200 and then buy another one for over $300.

Don't get me wrong, I have several friends who play Monette mouthpieces and sound GREAT. They would not play anything else. Several are professionals and could play any mouthpiece and are not going to be taken in by hype. There must be something there for at least some players. The cost always staggers me I must admit.

M&C

7. Dr G

Dr G Pianissimo User

Nov 9, 2003
    Just because some guy has a yard sale doesn't mean anything.

Make an offer, you might get a bargain.

8. trumpetpimp

trumpetpimp Piano User

Dec 6, 2003
    Toronto
    They don't say that Monette mouthpieces can only be used with Monette instruments. They say that Monette instruments should not be used with anything other than their mouthpieces. They feel(like every other manufacturer) that their pieces work great on other horns. However, they won't sell their heavier weighted mouthpieces to you if you don't own the Monette instrument for which they are intended. Same thing for their trombone pieces. They don't make trombones but they highly believe in the mouthpieces they make for them.

I think you got confused and thought that only Monette horns should be used with Monette mouthpieces. Although I'm sure they'd appretiate that it isn't accurate. Only specifc Monette mouthpieces should be used with their instruments but Monette mouthpieces(the lighter ones) can be used on convnetional instruments.

As for the acclimation guide...if what they say is true then the acclimation guide is more than just common sense. I'm not too sure what "constant pitch center" is because I haven't had the whole Monette experience. However, they say that many people will have a flat upper register during their first Monette experience. This is because we have become accustomed to compensating for a sharp higher register on conventional equiptment. They say that you need to learn to not adjust like you been trained(unconciously) to do. If you were trying Monette equiptment and didn't know that you'd think the intonation of the piece was poor but the acclimation guide says otherwise.

9. MUSICandCHARACTER

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    I stand corrected.

The new site actually promotes using the Monette mouthpiece with other horns. I am fairly sure on the old site it said differently, but maybe I misread it.

If one was to be cynical about the acclimation guide, you could say that if you have a problem with a Monette mouthpiece, you are to blame, not the mouthpiece. No returns! What a perfect marketing tool. Very expensive mouthpieces, with no return because if they don't work, you are not acclimated. Cha-ching!

Q. My upper register is flat when I try a Monette mouthpiece. Why is this?

A. Monette mouthpieces offer dramatically improved intonation, as long as the player stops adjusting in registers that no longer require adjustment!.

OK, so is Monette the only mouthpiece that has a correct high register? How did anyone play in tune with a good tone if they had to strain to get to the pitches. What if you buy a horn with a reverse leadpipe? My experience is that those higher pitches come into tune very easily with a reverse leadpipe. Will you now play sharp with a Monette?

Ferguson now plays a Monette, I don't think he is going to keep his head over his spine as the acclimation guide suggests.

I guess I shouldn't be so critical of them since I have never played one. The policy strikes me wrong. I buy any other mouthpiece they give you up to 45 days to try it. I recently bought a Rudy Muck and an Asymmetric. Very "different" mouthpieces. I had 45 days to try them and I could still return them.

If I do buy a Monette, it will be off of eBay (there are many listed usually, I guess some never get acclimated) where I can resell it later if I don't get acclimated. Or perhaps a Kanstul copy.

M&C