mega tone 3C w/French taper for Flugel....

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crowmadic, Nov 10, 2009.

1. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    I posted this in the Equipment section, and I'm posting it here for those that don't check the Equipment section often.
    I use a Mega Tone 3C mouthpiece on my Bb trumpet. I'd like to get the same feel on my Couesnon Flugelhorn. Does anyone know where I can get a Mega Tone 3C mouthpiece for Flugelhorn with a FRENCH TAPER?

crow

2. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Crow,

My opinion is that it is completely wrong to use a trumpet style mouthpiece on a flugelhorn. A c cup will make a flugelhorn sound like a wimpy trumpet, which is pointless. If I was you, I would rather look for a Bach 3FL mouthpiece or anything similar (Denis Wick 4FL comes to my mind). I that Bach flugel mouthpiece can be ordered with added wight (megatone). As for DW, I don't think that he makes any megatone mp for flugel (DW called those "Heavytop" but to my knowledge are available only for trumpet and cornet)

3. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    trumpetnick,
    I appreciate your comment. Can you help me understand why aside from the Shank, you can't have a mouthpiece cup that duplicates your trumpet mouthpiece for your Flugelhorn? I have a Marcinkowics BSC FL w/French taper for my Couesnon Flugelhorn, but I don't like the difference in feel going from trumpet to Flugelhorn, especially if the Flugelhorn is used intermittently during a gig. I certainly don't want that Couesnon sound to become a "wimpy trumpet" sound.

crow

4. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    The reason you shouldn't have the same cup on your flugelhorn mouthpiece as on your trumpet mouthpiece is because it's an entirely different instrument. It's not just a trumpet with a larger bell, it's an entirely different family, and needs a different mouthpiece to bring out the characteristics of that family. A flugelhorn mouthpiece needs to be a deep funnel shape and not a flattened cup like a Bach trumpet mouthpiece.

Finding a flugelhorn mouthpiece with the same rim shape and diameter as your trumpet mouthpiece is fine, for consistency in how it interacts with your embouchure, but get one with a real flugelhorn cup.

5. trumpetnick

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Crow,

I couldn't explain it better than DHB. In fact, the flugelhorn and the cornet are members of the Horn family (Cor in french, thus making the Cornet a little horn, probably should be translated as "horny" but that gets too ambiguous :-P or hornet) - you can see now why the most appropriate mp for a cornet or a flugel should be funnel shaped.

6. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    All you people do realize this person was asking if Bach made a Mega tone 3C flugel mouthpiece with a French taper ,not a trumpet mouthpiece. With that said , if Bach doesn't make one in stock ,they could make one custom, it would cost more than a stock Bach piece, but would probably still be cheaper than some other brand's stock mouthpieces, or have someone copy your mouthpiece and put a French taper on it.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  7. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    I was replying to Crowmadic, who had asked why not simply use a trumpet-cup mouthpiece on a flugelhorn.

I figure that anybody looking for a mouthpiece should simply go to the manufacturer and ask them, instead of asking on a forum.

There is plenty of information on the Bach web-site about the mouthpieces they make.

8. trumpetnick

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Al,

I realize that Crow was asking about getting a 3C on a french taper, but this doesn't necessarily prevent me for questioning his reasons for using such a mouthpiece on a flugel which is Couesnon in that particular case. My point was that using 3C would probably destroy the nice mellow sound that Couesnons are famous for. Besides, getting a standard flugel mouthpiece should work better and will cost less. I don't think that Crow was irritated by my post and eventually have earned some useful knowledge about flugels.

9. trumpetnick

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria

10. MTROSTER

MTROSTER Piano User

Jan 25, 2007
    Canada
    So where does Monette's flumpet mouthpiece fit into the picture,or does he have a special mouthpiece for this horn?:dontknow: