Megatone MPC???

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by chet fan, Sep 16, 2010.

1. chet fan

chet fan Piano User

Jul 3, 2009
    :?::?:

Can someone please tell me the difference between megatone and regular MPC

I have both of them, same size 7C , but they both feel the same, even though megatone is some 50% heavier

why is it heavier, and what is megatone intended for?

2. supposeda3

supposeda3 Piano User

Jan 3, 2009
    Central PA
    More weight dampens vibration, supposedly makes the tone more centered or something like that.

I'm not all together convinced of it, though; I use a 3c megatone with my cornet, and I dont notice any difference between it and a normal 3c. But I paid $70 for it, so I'm using it haha

3. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    According to Selmer:

"To create the Mega Tone, Selmer
    starts with genuine Vincent Bach
    mouthpiece designs and more than doubles
    the outside mass. This darkens the
    sound and allows you to play at higher
    dynamic levels without distortion. Mega
    Tone slots extremely well so pitches center
    dependably, and a slightly larger
    throat affords less resistance and greater
    flexibility. The result is a warmer, more
    powerful sound that adds a new dimension
    to concert, pop and jazz playing."

For many years I used a Bach 3C mouthpiece, so I tried a Megatone for about a year when they first became "popular". In my opinion they made me sound dull and lifeless and didn't offer any of the benefits listed in their advertisements.

Some people swear by them, so it could just be me...

4. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    Megatone mouthpieces also have slightly larger throats. I play on a 3b and a 3c Megatone. Mainly the 3c these days.

5. study888

study888 Mezzo Forte User

Aug 22, 2005
    Darlington S.C.
    Hello Chet Fan. IMHO, I feel like the Conn Selmer CKB megatones play much better than the Bach megatones. The weight mass is spread more even across the mouthpiece.

The CKB has a better universal shank taper and will fit most other brand of Trumpets/Cornets. The Bachs will usually have a wiggle and need tape etc. for a better gap setting. Unless you are using Bach Horns. Notice this on all my King Horns,vintage or modern.

If you like the Bach 7C rim,the Conn CKB 7C rim will work for you. The Conn CKB 7C will be a little brighter playing than the 5C/3C or 1 1/2C CKB's.

The Conn Selmer CKB 5C rim has the same sharp inner edge rim like the Bach 5C rim. The CKB 3C rim and the CKB 1 1/2C rims will be less sharp. All CKB rims are close to being the same rim design, as the Bach counter parts.

Kelly Mouthpiece Company has the best buy on the Conn Selmer 7C CKB mouthpiece. www.1stclarinet.com sells both CKB Trumpet/Cornet m.p's. I ordered a CKB 5C Cornet M.P. to try out on my 1938/1948 King Master Cornets. Fitted and played real nice,but that rim is tough on a tender lip fellow like me.

Am going back to my Kanstul CG Personel/CG3 Trumpet/Cornets M.P's. The rims are a lot easier on my thin lips. Just have to practice more to get use to the more open throats. Good luck

6. chet fan

chet fan Piano User

Jul 3, 2009
    Well it is not exactly Bach 7c, but Amati 3C that is supposed to be exact copy of Bach 7C megatone
    I have never ever seen Bach MPC, because there aint any in shops in my area. I have Gewa 7C standard MPC, that has exact the same rim as Amati 3C. I also have Yamaha 11C4 that is also supposed to be Bach 7C, but it is just a little bit narrower, but only maybe 0.01 mm, minimal difference.

I am also blessed with absolutely normal lips ,neither thin nor thick, and my teeth are lined up perfectly -so I think I will stuck with 7c forever

7. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    In the US "Everyone" starts with a Bach 7c, what a clinch on the market they have. Must be millions of the things in the US in closets, pawn shops, etc. I'm stickin' to Bach 7C until I have a good reason to change to something else.

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    It did work (for Bach). You bought it! ;-)

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Chet said.
    I am also blessed with absolutely normal lips ,neither thin nor thick, and my teeth are lined up perfectly -so I think I will stuck with 7c forever[/quote]

Go ahead, rub it in! ;-)

10. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Mouth piece opinions are as plentiful as the different sizes they come in. I just recently went through the mpc journey myself from asymetrics to smaller cups and larger backbores and light or heavyweights. I personaly like the way a heavy mpc makes me sound. It handles an ocasional overblow nicely and centers my sound. I couldnt find a new mpc that worked better than my good old Bach 5C but the Megatone didnt sound as good so I had Terry Warburton cut, thread, and gold plate my trusty 5C. Then I tried a LARGE number of Warburton backbores and found that larger was working better for me. I decided on the Series 80 heavy backbore in size 11, which is larger than the stock Bach backbore. Also I have less bloating of air with the more freeblowing 5C top. The sales lit. says the heavy backbores take more strength to play but that hasnt been a problem for me the results speak for themselves. Best wishes.