Mellophone Mouthpiece

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dutchie, Aug 23, 2010.

1. Dutchie

Dutchie New Friend

Apr 11, 2010
    P.E.I., Canada
    Hey folks,

I've got an old mellophone kickin' around and I was told that it would use a trumpet mouthpiece. The person seemed to think it had to be a specific size or what have you... Does anyone have any experience with this they can enlighten me with? :dontknow:

Thanks

2. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    The mellophone is an Eb alto instrument that takes the same mouthpiece as an American alto horn or, as the Brits call them, tenor horns. It is a shortened trumpet diameter shank with a larger than trumpet deep vee cup mouthpiece.

OLDLOU>>

3. Brian H. Smout

Brian H. Smout Piano User

The Mellophone was often used by early jazz cornetists as a double, using the cornet mouthpiece. Apparently, there is a photo of Louis Armstrong with one by his foot ready to play.

Cheers,

Brian

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    The mellophone is available in Eb, Bb and F. Mine, in marching trumpet configuration is in F or a simulation of a French horn. NO, trumpet mpcs do not bode well and require mpcs made specifically for them. I use a Larry Kerchner by IYM as is a counterweight to the balance of the instrument. The first mellophone I played was an Eb in the reversed right hand fingering configuration of a French horn. It was a school instrument, that my older brother played in the band. Many mpc companies make mellophone mpcs. The shank of a mellophone mpc is about 1/8th of an inch shorter than a trumpet mpc shank. Talk about gap problems ... use the wrong mpc and you've got them. Tony Scodwell played same with Stan Kenton.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010