Memo to Ron Gardenhire

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by rjzeller, Jun 17, 2005.

For you baseball fans out there -- is Gardy a good manager?

1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Quit 'yer damned complainin'; they've still got one of the best records in baseball...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. rjzeller

rjzeller Forte User

Mar 7, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    Okay, would you please, PLEASE top using Joe Nathan in non-save situations. He's given up maybe three runs all year in save situations, and ... I dunno ... like 12 in non-save situations. He's your g*(&(&*mned CLOSER. Pitch him when you have a lead. The team loses almost everytime he pitches without a lead.

And you've got the best bullpen in the majors, that does NOT mean you should try to use every part of it in every game. You have Jesse Crain with, what, about a 0.6 ERA? ZERO POINT SIX. Why the h*ll do you only pitch him one inning of a tight ballgame like this? Does JC Romero HAVE to pitch in every eigth inning? UGH...

Oh, and btw, there are these little things called BUNTS, and SQUEEZE plays, and HIT AND RUN, BASE STEALING....your team is hitting my kid's weight in clutch situations. Stop letting your batters swing away!!! I swear to G*d...one more strikeout or double play from Torri Hunter or another strikeout/popout/double play from the bottom of the lineup with runners in scoring position and I'm going to scream. (I will...just ask my wife and the finger I broke at the end of the '91 Series).

Oh..finally, WHO LEAVES THE PITCHER IN THE GAME IN THE LATE INNINGS OF A TIGHT BALLGAME TO BAT WITH RUNNERS IN SCORING POSITION????

Good for him the Twins are an AL team.

sorry...just needed to vent a bit. (And why WON't the Twins get themselves a bonafide power hitter?)

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Sigh... I was there last night, Rich, and watched it all happen. 4 run first inning, watched the Giants come back and surpass. Watched a dramatic homerun that put the Twinks ahead by 1, courtesy of Mr. Ford.

Then it all blew up.

ARRRGH!

None of the relievers did their job in all fairness.

ML

3. PhatmonB6

PhatmonB6 Mezzo Piano User

Jan 16, 2005
    Minnesota
    I went to a Twinks, Rangers game in May (they won) and all I got was a Jaque Jones Bobblehead!!!

4. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    Which you sold on Ebay, like everybody else.......

Right?

;-)

Yeah, last night's game was as choker. You think the Giants would be easy without Bonds in the lineup.

But our local sports guru (the Immoral Sid Hartman) will say the Twins need a new retractible roof stadium in order to compete and win more games.

Darn it Sid............You pay for it.........

:x

5. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Piano User

Nov 30, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    I didn't realize that there were so many Twins fans out there. Since Kirby Puckett, well I'll stop right there.

6. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    Kirby Puckett is an a**

Wife-beating punk who got what he deserved.

(A divorce, and she took him to the cleaners).

7. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Piano User

Nov 30, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    But a hell of a hitter (no double entendre intended)

8. rjzeller

rjzeller Forte User

Mar 7, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    I remember Kirby and crew winning it all in '87. I remember "We'll see you tomorrow night!" in game six at the end of Pucket's bat in the '91 series. I was barely 19 then.

Pucket was my hero. I almost cried the day he woke up and realized he wouldn't be playing baseball anymore. It broke my heart to see baseball cancelled the year he was on pace to set the RBI record.

He played hard, was a perrenial gold glove winner, hit like a champ, and was just an all around likeable guy. And he stayed here in MN his whole career -- I really admire folks like that who could go anywhere they want, but out of loyalty (or whatever), remain in the same place. What a great way to reward the team who took a chance on you through a draft or trade.

Then the story about the abuse came out. Sigh. Once again I'm forced to shelf my adoration of a highly public figure. I still want to like the guy, in spite of things, but that desire to see him back on the field, that sad knowledge that there will be no comeback -- well --- I guess I just don't miss him anymore.

And you're right ML, to be fair nobody pitched very well. Allthough I would have stuck with Crain in the 9th.

You were right -- I meant 87. Fixed it, thx.

9. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    I imagine you meant '87, not '97......... ;-)

And yes, I wanted to not believe the abuse. But the more they got into it, the more discusted I became. We will never know what ultimately caused him to go bad. Maybe the glaucoma, which ended his career way too early.......And caused enough stress to start the domestic stuff.......Or weather it was happening over the long term..........
    Even after Kirby could not play any more, he stayed on the payroll in the Twins organization (until the abuse came out).

It's really a shame. Puck had it all......And threw it all away.