Memorial Day activities

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by oldlou, May 28, 2012.

1. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    I am 'somewhat' amazed to not find any postings pertaining to the sounding of Taps on this day set aside to commemorate our fallen veterans. For many years I made a habit of going to one of our large local cemeteries to conduct a small ceemony with the lowering a re raising of the Flag on the day that the Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts set out flags at the grave site of each veteran buried there. Because of debilitating health and my inability to walk more than a few feet at any one time, I had to forego this today, BUT, I stuck the bell of my trumpet out into the 90 degree heat and sounded Taps for my neighborhood. Did any of you do anything similar to honor our dead military brethren?

OLDLOU>>

2. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    Our Chiurch had a special servive honoring the fallen heroes of or nation.

Last edited: May 28, 2012
  3. harleyt26

harleyt26 Mezzo Forte User

Dec 9, 2009
    Summerfield,Fl.
    A couple of us played in our community band at a local veterans park for their Memorial Day ceremonies. It was very good, the local Military Vets motorcylcle club MC'd the event. Echo Taps was played also along with a few speeches. Plus a very informative explanation of the ceremony of the folding of the flag with the meaning of each of the thirteen folds. I had not heard this before and I served on a burial squad during my time in the Army and have folded many flags.
    God bless our defenders of freedom.

4. trumpetguy27

trumpetguy27 Mezzo Piano User

May 30, 2008
    Maryland
    I was going to sound taps from our deck yesterday evening at sunset... but just before I arrived home from our running around for the day the weather started looking ugly and by the time I got in the house and things settled a nasty thunderstorm had very quickly blown in so I was rained out.

Our house sits on top of a hill so our deck overlooks another portion of the community below... I'm hoping to be able to sound it for all to hear this evening. I suppose we shall see!

5. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    You are "amazed"? Is this supposed to be a comment on those of us who didn't? It reads that way.

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    It was the Lions Club members and friends here that set out the flags on Friday in Jackson Cemetery. At 1:00 PM, today I sounded Taps there with my Slingerland (made by Holton) U.S Regulation bugle in G to perhaps a third of those that earlier attended the 11:00 AM ceremony held at the Veteran's Memorial on the Couthouse Square (I had been there also) where they used an electronic bugle pointed away from the audience as then sounded like they also had a practice mute in it. Asked by an Army 1st Cavalry Vet why I didn't sound Taps at the ceremony I told him that answer could only come from the County Veterans Affairs official.

Jackson Cemetery isn't that big, about 50 yards deep and a block wide. Eventually, thats where I'll be, about halfway back, on the left side behind the Jones plot marker next to my wife (who is not yet deceased). Will live Taps be sounded for me??? If not, they can play my own recording.

7. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    I just got back from a combined veteran's associations event. The community band I am in performed a bit of patriotic music and we were asked to provide a trumpet player to play Taps. I was really shocked that the other guys were trying so hard to get out of doing it they almost couldn't hear me volunteering. Anyway, a fly over was scheduled to occur as I finished and the timing was nearly flawless. The sound of my last note faded into the roar of the jets as they flew over.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The fallen Germans don't get TAPS from me.

Here it is not Memorial Day, but Pentecost - like Easter with a Sunday and Monday holiday. Had a killer Bach Cantata (BWV 34 O ewiges Feuer) with the natural trumpet yesterday and a wind band concert today.

9. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Well . . . of course it's a different day, but my Musikverein played at a rememberence ceremony every year at a memorial statue to the fallen in our town. The statue itself was a WWI memorial statue. I had no problem playing for those fallen in that fiasco of a war. Seems to me everyone (except for the moronic generals, royalty and politicians) was a victim, regardless of nationality.

10. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Working in the ED today, so I wasn't available. But my son played taps today at a memorial ceremony to place flags on the graves of veterans.

Mike