Memorial Day activities

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by oldlou, May 28, 2012.

1. Chief X

Chief X New Friend

Mar 25, 2012
    I sounded Taps at the ceremony here, where I live in Florida. I used my 1902 J.W. Pepper "Surprise"...

2. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    Yesterday evening I recieved a phone call from one of my 14 year old trumpet students who wanted to let me know the he had stood in for me by sounding Taps at one of the local veterans memorial centers. I was more proud of him than I know how to express.

In addition, I was forced to see my old USMC friend and fellow member of one of our local indoor competition rifle gallery clubs in his casket. He will be laid to rest today. Izzy was a one term president of our club and my mentor for my first term of four terms. A wonderful man and a great friend.

OLDLOU>>

patkins likes this.
  3. Jersey Dave

Jersey Dave New Friend

Jan 23, 2012
    Branchburg,n.j.
    My sons High School band was in the Memorial Day parade in Somerville,N.J...After the parade the band had graveyard duty at the local cemetary where there was a ceremony, with Vets and the mayor speaking..My son and another senior trumpet player played taps....unfortunately because of the heat, we had at least 9 band members go down..Meanwhile i had brought ice packs, cold wash towels and water and i went to each member and applied ice packets to the back of their necks to cool them down, going up and down each line of the band ....A very scary experience watching these young kids pass out....luckily all were o.k. after being pulled in the shade and given water...

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Murphy's Law applied to about everything here at the County ceremony in front of the Veteran's Memorial. For the ceremony metal folding chairs were set out on the concrete apron at the foot of the stairs to the Courthouse. My wife and I backed up and stood in the shade of a big old water oak (which really didn't help much to abate the 98 F temperature), but at least we were wise enough to have a cooler full of chilled water bottles which we shared with some others. It was so hot the audio fused and did not work ( I think it may have been a vintage tube type PA amplifier ???). Too, I think the heat was getting to the battery in the electronic bugle, but it didn't help any that it was directed away from the audience.

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    YES -- the heat -- should be a reminder to all those out in the heat playing -- to keep hydrated.
    YES -- it was scary for me, as the other 2 trombones in the parade are guys who are 75+, I was worried they would keel over in the 90 degree heat and humidity at our parade (and me being only 47 well I am young, and strong) BUT, those guys looked pretty good after the parade -- whilie I was "sucking wind", the trombone kills me, and then the heat -- I knew I should just stick with the trumpet, after all that is such an easy instrument ROFL ROFL ROFL---- those OLD GUYS - they even ended up "walking the mile and a half back to their cars at the beginning of the parade" --- and I feel weak because I parked at the end, and caught a ride to the beginning with another member --- of course the cute saxophone player was in that group that was chauffered to the beginning -- so I can't feel TOO BAD about it, as I got to chat with her for a few minutes.

6. mrsemman

mrsemman Piano User

Apr 8, 2010
    Massachusetts
    I spent both Sunday and Monday playing taps at eight different locations in two different towns. Then, Sunday afternoon played in the next town's community band for another parade.

Gary

patkins likes this.
  7. Bucaneer61

Bucaneer61 Pianissimo User

Oct 17, 2007
    Buckhannon, WV
    AS has been my tradition for the past few years, I went to our family cemetery where most of the men interred there and some of the females had served our country, including my own father, a decorated and wounded Marine and sounded "Taps" in honor of their service. No one there, no ceremony - just me, my cornet and the combined memories of all those fine men who fought so that I can have the life I live today. May they all rest in God's arms.

Michael

8. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    KT, Were they wearing the "Fall/Winter" Uniforms, or using more appropriate warm weather clothes( bands) . When I was in school, we used our uniforms and ,boy, were they hot for that time of year! during the ceremonies after the parade, standing at parade rest, we were advised to flex the knees at times to keep from passing out. Locked knees almost always guaranteed somebody was gonna pass out:-o:roll::oops:

Sorry, should've read farther back. It was Jersey Dave's post I was asking about

Last edited: May 30, 2012
  9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Such was USAF Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) for Parade Reveiw and Honors while in formation on the flight tarmac whether at attention or parade rest, and still a few went down. Can't say such wasn't expected, because they usually had one or more ambulances near. I can say any who went down were removed from flight status, one I know of permanently.

10. Jersey Dave

Jersey Dave New Friend

Jan 23, 2012
    Branchburg,n.j.
    They were wearing lighter uniforms, they are only 2 years old, but their colors are black, orange & white, and the black is most of the uniform..