Memorization

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by dvnbrennan, Apr 10, 2011.

1. dvnbrennan

dvnbrennan New Friend

Jan 4, 2011
    Michigan
    Does memorizing music (exempli gratia) ameliorate your skills? If I were to memorize all of my jazz band and wind ensemble music, would it make a significant difference (contrarily to not memorizing it)?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
    keehun likes this.
  2. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    No.

3. keehun

keehun Piano User

Feb 4, 2010
    Minnesota
    I will tell you that it does.

Going "beyond the notes" is absolutely critical. If you have to keep your eye on the music and struggle with the notes, it will absolutely make a difference.

However, I don't mean that you should memorize to get rid of the music. Music can be there as a good confidence booster. Principals at major orchestras know their music. They don't need the music, but they still have it "in case."

When I played for Joe Bergstaller (He'll be at ITG!) at a masterclass, I started off sounding pretty nice, but stuck as a slave to notes. I mean I didn't "sound bad," but it was pretty evident I was still searching for the notes.

He told me to close my eyes and just play.

Apparently, I already knew all the notes and I played with soul... Instant tone + musicality boost.

Once you get your mind off the notes, the soulful side of you will automatically kick in.

So memorize your music not as means of getting rid of music... But to get beyond the notes! :)

Keehun

Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
  4. MVF

MVF Pianissimo User

Sep 10, 2010
    SoCal
    Thanks keehun. This wasn't even a question I was thinking about, but I think your comments are going to make a big difference for me. I can't wait to try this out, although I haven't found memorization as easy as it used to be (I'm a long absent comeback player).

5. keehun

keehun Piano User

Feb 4, 2010
    Minnesota
    My teacher tells me I don't even need to try to memorize. If I practice enough, it'll be automatic. I guess with enough repetitions, you'll just be able to sing the whole thing. When that is achieved, I really REALLY believe you can unlock music to the next level.

6. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    The question was would memorizing music correct deficient skills (based upon the definition and standard usage of "ameliorate"--I stand by my answer.

7. keehun

keehun Piano User

Feb 4, 2010
    Minnesota
    I would not go as far to say it'll correct deficient skills -- that only comes by practicing and good instruction. But I do think it can ameliorate --- "or make better" as it is in the dictionary --- your current skills. Making the fingers automatic and forgetting about the notes can really bring out something special, even if you aren't a pro. I look to my performance in the masterclass. First time through was alright. Second time through without reading the notes, Mr. Burgstaller asked the audience what they thought and the feedback was overwhelmingly positive for the second time. It's not that I had practiced a billion hours in between the two run throughs. It was just that I had room to inject soul the second time around without reading the notes.

But you are right, it's not going to "correct" any deficient skills.