memorizing songs

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by kingtrumpet, Sep 19, 2010.

1. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    maybe it's my age (45), but I seem to have difficulty remembering song material ( I play a song 1,000 times, and I still might forget a note). I was wondering if most of you memorize songs, or use sheet music for gigs.
    It would be nice to just get up and play without a music stand - that's all, well if you have any good tips -- I am listening

2. NickD

NickD Forte User

When I go to learn a new tune on my own, I'll just make sure to play it a bunch of times in practice focusing a bit more on tough sections (Hot House and Hocus Pocus both have little phrases that need attention, for example). Sometimes I'll practice it left handed. It doesn't take too long for me to get it memorized like that. The trick, FOR ME, is to only try to pick up one or two tunes at a time. If I try to learn too many tunes all at once, it takes much longer. I also do spaced repetition. I.e., I'll work on the tune at several different times during the day all spread out over many hours.

I hope that helps a bit!

Nick

3. wolfmann

wolfmann Pianissimo User

Aug 19, 2010
    Kingtrumpet I do have reservations about you,you said a few days ago you were 41 now your 45 and still bumping old threads like your other handle.

BUT since you asked a question that might be relevent for some people:

Break the tune into sections and if you must,break it into smaller bars.
    Then just connect the dots and your home free.

4. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    ------------
    I perform a lot and most of the stuff I perform is memorized.
    How do I do it?
    1)I know my scales so I know what notes go where.
    Question: Can you play Mary Had a Little Lamb in all 12 Keys? If not then that's a problem.
    2)I know my arpeggios
    Can you play all 12 major arpeggios? If not, it should be worked on.
    3)Every night I practice memorizing songs.
    I just came from a 4 hour gig and my butt's a dragging and my legs are cramping but once I settle down I'll be practicing and memorizing, TONIGHT!
    4)Practice your scales and arpeggios and find songs you like and learn them. Use your ears, they are your best friend!

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    wolfmann,
    I have reservations about your counting -- no fewer than 30 times in the first 76 posts - - I clearly stated I was 45 --- and the other 30+ posts -- well that was last year when I was 44.
    ie.all the following threads -----Chop building excercises? Please! , memorizing songs , memorizing songs , Deprate Advice!!! , Chop building excercises? Please!, Double-tonguing and jaw pain. Advice. , Increasing range quickly?, New Comeback Player - Want to do it right , Should I play a second brass instrument? , Endurance and High Notes , Asymmetric , Range Exercises, One Minute Trumpet Players Survey! , Freaks? , Too much Chops?, I'm really at the end of my rope. Should I just quit trumpet?, I need a mouthpiece sugestions, Screamers. . . ?? , comeback player seeking advice , Chronic Issues , Casual Double High C - Any good? , How long.................., My Face Hurts !! , Asymmetric Mouthpiece??, Lip Swelling , Realy frustrated....

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    wolfmann,
    I do believe I sent you a private message to explain why I opened old threads -- and for all the others who wonder why!!
    I use 2 different PC's, one is a bit slower - and when I click on the "next" arrow -- it jumped to the last page -- where the threads were 6 years old. ((I neglected to check the dates))

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Thanks Nick,
    I love your very helpful YOUTUBE stuff, and the physics behind all of the sound, and oh yeah the breaking of the wine glass -- I still must try that.
    thanks for the left hand/ right brain training ---- I never thought of that -- somehow I bet that will work.

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Markie,
    thanks, I know 10 of the scales, and of course the chromatic scale, but you hit on something. Memorize at night before you turn in. I used to do that in college -"then sleep on it" - I forgot how that used to work well for me.

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    thanks wolfmann - I have been trying to memorize line by line, methodically --- but if I break that into a phrase that goes together, that might help. I think I have been "trying" to memorize like I do a favorite quote in literature --- and music is it's own language.

ps. Oh sakes alive - I am still 45

10. wolfmann

wolfmann Pianissimo User

Aug 19, 2010
    You said you were 41 a few days ago,I dont really give a crap about looking it up.Im sure you did a edit since then.
    And you said you were sorry about bumping old threads,which was over a week ago and wouldnt do it again.
    YET if you look at the new posts if you back track it still comes up as YOU within the last couple days.
    Then of course you have your other shill accounts you post from that are bumping years old threads.
    And I guess you may have changed your sex also to a certain female poster on here.
    Its cool have your funROFL
    I will just ignore your posts from now on is all.