Mendez Plays Arban

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by wiseone2, Mar 5, 2005.

1. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    When I looked around for my recording of Mendez in my usual spot, I discovered it wasn't there. I have had this cassette for a long time. I thought my wife had "cleaned it up." She has thrown out stuff in the name of neatness.
    Well, I panicked. I was sure I couldn't replace the record. I thought it was OOP :bash: I went online and discovered "The Legacy." It has Arban and more on this CD.
    I did not listen to Mendez when I was growing up in Philadelphia.
    Caston, Clarke and Krauss were my heroes until I heard Gil Johnson.
    Discovering this incredible artist is an inspiration to get out those old solos and work on them. :play:
    Wilmer

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    I hate that! :x

3. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    Wilmer, you picked some terrific heroes. Those men could play!
    Mendez was very fond of that Arban recording. As incredible as it may seem, he felt his single tonguing was a "weak" spot in his playing.

I had the incredible fortune to be on the same stage as the late, great William Warfield about a year and a half before he died. He did "A Lincoln Portrait" with a community band I am in. It was an honor to be on the same stage as him and he, of course, performed magnificently. What this leads to is on that day, he signed the recording of the "Porgy and Bess" excerpts he made in the mid 60s with his then wife, Leontyne Price. I played that recording a week or so ago and it got me to wondering if you were on it. There is some terrific trumpet playing on it and there is no mention of the orchestra other than it was under the direction of Skitch Henderson.

If you weren't on it, do you have any idea who was? I would think Doc may have been one. Maybe Robert Nagel or John Ware, too.

Thanks,

Rich Tomasek