Mental Problems

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by VetPsychWars, May 29, 2012.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    As much of my teaching is body use and very student specific, I prefer individual lessons. Then I am sure that the message is understood and can move on to the next thing.

2. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Thanks for the advice so far but please do remember this happens in the practice room as well... it is not specific to performance, which is why I called it a mental problem.

Tom

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    This past school year I've been working only with 5th grade beginners and I'm not sure that any of the 4 of them would fully understand a problem they have but at this stage I do believe more than 90% for all of them is proper breathing. Not to say the least is proper care and maintenance of their instrument which from my experience doesn't get much better until about their senior high school year despite what they're told and shown.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Tom,
    try practicing after a shower. Let me know what you think.

5. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    My first reaction was, like Ed mentioned, added tension from the group environment. Tension will wear you down quickly.
    Great breathing comments from Rowuk . . . but putting some of this off on the conductor? Come on, now.

6. VetPsychWars

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Well, I practice at work (can't play in my apartment) the first thing after I arrive... so that's within 45 minutes of a shower. Does that count?

Tom

7. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    If this happens more when you play music rather than when you are doing, say, Arban exercises, would you be willing to video yourself playing some music and letting (some) TMers see this in case there is something they might pick up to advise on?

Alternatively, are there accomplished players in your concert band who might be able to comment on your playing (but were never asked)?

--bumblebee

8. VetPsychWars

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    I've reached out to a local professor of trumpet to see if he'll do a private lesson for me.

Tom

9. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Most interesting thread I've seen in a long time in the discussion forum. I find it interesting that this is an issue related with music rather than performance situations, i.e. that the same problem happens with music vs exercises, whether it is with the band or in the practice room. That would actually point away from a purely mental problem and toward playing technique (I should say applied technique perhaps).

I do experience some level of the same problem. It gets a lot better once I am familiar with the piece. I believe that breathing is the most important factor. Once I know where to breathe and have the air I need for each phrase, no more, nor less, it becomes a lot better.

10. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    Yea. What he said.

Also, here is a link to a threat on the oTHer sight.

http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=103078&highlight=1930s

Rusty Russel posted it a while back. I've been doing these for about a year, and I've had great results with increased endurance. Having said that, I did blow myself out during the first set last Friday. The band was really loud and I played too loud trying to hear myself. That can really make a difference.

Last edited: May 29, 2012