Mental Problems

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by VetPsychWars, May 29, 2012.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Kinda think the stress of commute time would negate the relaxing moments of a shower.

2. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Stress? Come on, I'm in Milwaukee, not Chicago!

My commute is an easy drive up city streets, which are more like country roads.

Tom

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Mileage and time on the road ... and the count of potholes in the road surface which I hope are better paved than Wayne County airport was the last time I flew in there to refuel before going on to Appleton WI. Now except as a passenger, I don't fly anymore.
    "Country road" discription presently doesn't impress me as currently here a tractor sprayer on the road can back up vehicles for 5 miles, even to a dead stop while the the tractor driver awaits and opening in oncoming traffic to turn left into a field. Oh boy, turn around and hope you can find an alternate route when a loaded log truck suddenly comes onto the road from a cut and is hit by a chemical laden truck. If one stayed there it might take all of remaining daylight before the road reopened. Yes, I encountered such since moving here in 2006. Too, I tried to get out of DC the evening before John F. Kennedy was inaugurated and I lived in Montgomery County MD. I got in my car at 4:00 PM and at midnight was only able to reach Chevy Chase Circle barely out of DC and it took me ten minutes just to get to the gas pump in DC to refuel and had to accept hi-test or none at all when I was sitting close to empty. Point: road stress occurs wherever you are, Too, road stress occurs only with the prospect of what is on your work agenda for the day.

4. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Since breathing and endurance often go hand in hand, have you considered yoga or tai chi? Aerobic fitness is good to maintain as well but I found both of these (particularly tai chi) very beneficial. In fact I used to cycle for 30 minutes to get to my tai chi classes (yang style) which combined external strength training with internal strength training. (Now I work in a different location and have a son running around my daily timetable is less forgiving, sadly, so I do less cycling and less tai chi. Must fix that.)

--bumblebee

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Hi Tom,

I will be in Milwaukee in November on business........ Actually in Menomenee Falls.

No 45 minutes after the shower doesn't count. The idea is to try things with your body in a completely relaxed state.

I still think that we have a breathing/timing issue. More stuff to come.

Kehaulani, yes the conductor can share the blame - especially with players that actually look at him. Hectic, out of pulse upbeats cause various reactions from the players. Using a big breath for the upbeat works wonders. I have worked with several such conductors in my career.

6. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Don't buy it - putting a player's inability to breathe correctly off on the conductor. No doubt an erratic conductor can spread indecision and tension throughout an orchestra in a general sense, but IMO it's the player's responsibility to control his breathing, regardless. Won't argue the point, though.

7. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    This might seem to be a silly question, but bear with me. Is there any connection between your fatigue and the part you are playing? I have been playing 3rd and 4th parts in a community band and discovered that my endurance was significantly lower when playing 3rd and 4th parts than when playing 1st or even 2nd. I haven't realy attempted to analyze the phenomena, just dealt with it. I realized the parts that mimiced the horn section and the counterpoint parts in many marches really did me in. What I have done is simply relaxed, consciously used very little pressure and paid attention to my breathing. Gotta give rowuk that one.

8. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I would suggest more air flows when playing lower notes than higher ones. So you find yourself drawing deeper/more breaths than those playing higher parts perhaps (all else being equal, though it's a bit more complex than this...).

--bumblebee

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    it may very well be a "subconscious" symptom of "how you think", instead of how you play. THIS happens to me --- I can explain what happens, but I haven't totally cured it. Yes is practice, I can play for an hour, and still have most of my decent sounding, reproducible range -- near a high E, and in the community band --- I sit 3rd chair, last chair -- (hey I have only been there 6 months --- and I am just happy to help out --- don't really need to challenge any position) ---and the music rarely goes above the staff.
    but with rehearsals -- I find (frequent stops, always dynamics on cue by the conductor -- oh yes, the cute saxophonists, and not only the stops -- but also the frequent tempo changes, etc.) and not too mention-- everybody is on a "different rythm" than I ----SOMEHOW 100 beats per minute on my metronome, is not the same 100 beats in the band practice.
    YES -- it is a common thing --- Environment? different sounds? (yes, Rowuk makes a lot of very good points) -by the way my hearing is apparently "uncorrectible" in my right ear -- they can amplify the distortion, but it will then be loud distortion --AND THAT DISTORTION is all accounted for in my "practice closet" ---- but in real life, band -- or a parade --- it really sucks when we have 49 other instruments.

TOM -- you might have a mental problem --- then again (with a 100 variables surrounding the band and your thoughts) -- your only mental problem may be that you are worried about having a problem ---- and perhaps that is the problem ----
    I think you understand what I am saying

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    During rehearsals and performance under the baton of a conductor induces tension. In my experience I've rehearsed under one conductor and then for the actual performance had a guest conductor. In retrospect, I believe the greater percentage of the orchestra would concur that this guest conductor was under the influence of something. He didn't even stay on stage for ovations.

It was many years later that I studied some music history and I found such much the same had occurred the last time Sousa conducted and he was found dead the next day in his room at the Lincoln Hotel in Reading PA.

None of us are infallible!