Mental Problems

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by VetPsychWars, May 29, 2012.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Okay, I've read all the posts and haven't seen this mentioned so I'll throw it out there. I had the same problem a couple years ago with endurance. While it may affect your/our psyche, it was for me mainly physical. I started doing long tones and lots of them. I would start at low F# and work my way all the way up to the top of my range (at that time a weak high C, today,a FAT high F!). I would purposely watch the clock to see how long I was holding each note. This allowed me to see my progression BUT more importantly, it helped me to calm down my mind. Once you convince your mind you CAN hold a G above the staff for a minute,your mind stops fighting you and you can relax. That's 31 (F#- High C) notes and yes I did them all with equal amounts of rest in between. Did not do them everyday but 3-4 times a week. I also do an abbreviated version when I drive (you don't want to pass out while driving, don't ask me how I know, but it was scary!) I have a hose trumpet that sits next to me while I drive and when it's not bumper-to-bumper, it's 16 seconds on, 12 seconds rest. I do this for the whole drive if practical. I have family in Milwaukee so if I ever get up that way I'll say hey! Watch out for cows on those country roads! ;-)

Last edited: May 30, 2012
    kingtrumpet likes this.
  2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Yeah, Wisconsin is notable as a dairy state. I kinda laughed silently in my gut as the motor cyclist related how he slid out on a fresh cow "puddle". He was very lucky that he only broke his left ulna, but his cycle was totalled. By his stench I think he skidded in it also.

While driving in Scotland on remote country lanes I always pondered about being blocked by sheep on the road, but it didn't happen to me. I was just a bit irked by the vehicles that passed me seemingly going twice my speed and threw me the finger. It's not easy, the first time one drives on the "wrong" side of the road.

3. Haste2

Haste2 Piano User

Jun 16, 2010
    I've always a bit of a problem with ensemble playing, as well.

I often develop the sound that I want in my practice session, only to find that my blending doesn't seem quite right in an ensemble. Then, when I adjust my sound to blend, I then tend to adjust to the "average" brass player's tone, thus inhibiting my tone quality somewhat. However, this is far more of a factor in wind ensemble than it is with settings with fewer brass players.

My bigger problem, and perhaps related to the above, however, is centering my sound in the ensemble setting.... you see, when I'm in the practice room, I get the sound I want (more-or-less) because there is nothing competing. Also, I have a tendency to focus on tone quality first, THEN fix intonation. (well, not always.... I used to OBSESS over intonation, which hurt my sound development; I am transitioning out of that) However, in the ensemble setting, that just isn't possible sometimes. I find myself trying to play exactly in tune, and thus my sound centering suffers more often. Any advice?

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Ed, that reminds me - our conductor is in his 60's -- a very congenial sort of fella -- and I am getting used to his frequent tempo changes, and waving that baton for the trumpet section "dynamics" -- to accentuate them either louder, or softer than written.
    We had a joint rehearsal with the local high school, for a joint concert a month or so back.
    The 2 "guest conductors were young women in their 20's -- they were attractive enough (but that is besides the point) --- the main thing I noticed was the "personality" of the conductor. 1 of the young ladies was very efficient, but also had personality to make every one feel at ease, like she was a long time friend -- and she had BIG ARM movements in the baton, that was easy to SEE while looking at the music ---- BUT the other young lady, she was quite stern, yet she has personality -- BUT EVERY MOTION OF THE BATON looked the same to me --- small movements of her arms -- or maybe because she has short arms, but the movements in the baton, to keep the beat, were hard to decipher --- AND that added tension for me ----then I thought "she is always looking at me, I am missing notes, she scowled at the 3rd trumpets, she can hear me mess up, oh know, she is noticing, I am behind a bit in the count -----anyways, she is surely a good conductor -------but my MIND INSTANTLY PERCEIVED HER AS STERN AND DEMANDING AND CRITICAL --- but I assure you she is kind and warm, and congenial -- - but my perception was --- SHE IS POINTING ME OUT ---even though she wasn't

5. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    I practice in a large storage room.

This could be the problem. A large storage room with a lot of natural reverberation will give you a great sound with no effort. It great to play in a room like this, such as a church, for performances. For everyday practice it may be a problem. because when you play in another place that doesn't have these acoustics you end up working a lot harder trying to get the sound you are used to. Also we don't don't know what you practice on a daily basis. It may not be preparing you for playing with the band.

You should try practicing in a deader room. It will take a while to see a change but I think you should give it a try.

Last edited: May 30, 2012
  6. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    It's all I got, Bob. I'm grateful for what I have because without it I would have nothing.

Tom

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA

and if you had nothing -- wouldn't that really be something? by the way -- I don't think we ever got around to asking the all important questions.
    Tom - "what do you think is the problem?"
    Tom - how does this problem make you feel about your playing in performances?"
    Tom - "what do you think your life would be like without this association of you having a mental problem that induces some negative feelings about your performances
    Tom - "do these negative associations, occur in any other activities in your life?"
    Tom - " when I say trumpet, what is the first thing that comes to your mind?"
    Tom - "when I say G Minor scale, what is the first thing that comes to your mind?"

8. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    "what do you think is the problem?" I'm trying to force a certain kind of sound instead of relaxing and taking the sound I have.

how does this problem make you feel about your playing in performances?" I worry that I will run out of gas, which is a great crime.

"what do you think your life would be like without this association of you having a mental problem that induces some negative feelings about your performances" Pretty much the same

"do these negative associations, occur in any other activities in your life?" No

" when I say trumpet, what is the first thing that comes to your mind?" A picture of my Lightweight 400

"when I say G Minor scale, what is the first thing that comes to your mind?" What do I care about scales?

(really, I play in a concert band with sheet music)

Tom

9. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Is there somethings you can put up to absorb some of the sound. What is in the storage room?

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Great response!! ROFL