Mental Problems

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by VetPsychWars, May 29, 2012.

1. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Lots and lots of blowers!

And, no. It's a very large room. I'm sure not putting any money into such a thing!

Tom

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Yes, first impressions can induce a variety of responses that may effect your performance. Too, every conductor I've knowledge of seemingly has their own idiosyncrasies (sp??) which also includes me. With the baton I don't constantly count the tempo but the height I hold it denotes the volume. To catch more of the action watch my other hand. That's the one I'd point at you with. In my experience a lot of conductors of instrumental music in public schools seemingly direct with a choral method and that's as different as baseball is from softball.

3. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    I have the opposite problem. I can get through 2 hour rehearsals with the Community Band and the Big Band with no problems. Many nights I can play better and higher at the end of the rehearsal than at the start. I think it comes from the forced periods of rest I get a rehearsal. At home. I may play for an hour straight with no rest. I usually pay the price for it too. My teacher has went as far as to tell me only to practice 20 minutes at a time. I know that I should rest more, but have a hard time doing so. I just want to work to get better.

Your problem may be from tensing up and trying too hard. Maybe you are afraid of making mistakes or missing notes in front of your peers? I say forget about it and have fun. When I first started playing with the Big Band I was very intimidated by being in a room full of much better musicians. Over time I have found them all to be helpful and supportive. Relax a little, make music, and have some fun. That is what you are playing for, isn't it?

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    We must play with these brass instruments because we enjoy doing so, because so few of us actually earn a decent living doing so or even pursue such. I for one, if money were my goal, I'd be bankrupt. It must be enjoyment that keeps me going and going ...

coolerdave likes this.
  5. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    okay my take
    lots of good stuff to chew over
    I agree a dark horn could force over blowing beause it can get lost in the mix
    I agree with the breathing aspect but it may be more than just relaxing it could be a conditioning issue
    Are you practicing enough and is some of your practice at a good solid mf .. and what you practice. It sounds like you are pressed for time ..
    I think long tones are great for tone development..
    I think tonguing exercises build up the chops ... I like pg 125 of the Arbans and I also tongue the Technical Studies in the Clarkes and Vizzutti's .. with a metronome.
    Range building exercises seem to help me ... my theory was always practice "stuff" that is harder than anything I would have to play.
    also
    If you are playing 1st or lead or whatever they call it and the lower parts aren't strong players I feel it makes playing first harder... I don't know if that's a mental issue or not but it sure feels like more work if they don't fill in the section.
    I also agree about the mp ...
    and last .... If you are worried about hitting clams you might be playing with too much pressure.

6. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Do you have or can you get your hands on a 37 Strad or something a little brighter to see if it helps?
    Perhaps an old 1920-30 Conn 22b ?

patkins likes this.
  7. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Great thread ...... I'll toss in my 2cents.

Tension is a real killer ..... Tension is no problem for me when performing now, I don't really feel it (I seem to care less and less what people think as I get older), but I'm having a "mental glitch" around recording. Not trumpeting, but the same issue as can be with any instrument; When I sing, in practice, I sound pretty decent, mostly professional (I guess), with a nice flow and no hesitation that you can hear in the voice. Then, when I hit the "record" button, all of this goes south and I sound like crap, or worse, like a bad Karaoke singer.:-( Not tension, but hesitiation, bad breathing, lack of confidence, or whatever .... the end result is just as bad.

I don't have any idea what to do about that except practice more. On the other hand, my guitar playing is usually better when I record. The "flow" of playing doesn't change at all or simply gets better. I think it's all about practice and DAILY practice, as muscle memory in fingers and lips is not very long. I''ve been doing 6 hours a day on guitar for 2 1/2 months now and it shows. If I could get in that many hours a day in singing practice, I think the problems would go away. Tension tends to disappear with these sorts of hours, as it simply takes too much energy.

Also, Tom, I was wondering about your reference to practice as "practice" and "performance" as "music". It might help to think of all practice as music, even scales. Any type of exercise can be done musically, a lot of it is just in how you look at things.

Turtle

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Pretty good advice from a guitar playing turtle!! :D

9. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    My Custom Built can play as blatty as the Bachs. Doesn't seem to make a difference.

Tom

10. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Lame Joke Alert! (don't take this one seriously...)
    It occurs to me that if you have no problems when not playing music then simply call everything you play something other than music. Problem solved.

--bumblebee