Mental Problems

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by VetPsychWars, May 29, 2012.

1. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Well, yeah .... why not? That's good reverse psychology. :lol:

Not that guitar practice as I do it is so much like normal trumpet practice ..... I'm only doing what I'm recording, songs on the acoustic guitar (3 hours) and improvising on electric to the radio or CDs (3 hours). So, it's like all playing ... I don't have workbooks where I do general stuff, like a guitarist's Arbans or Clarke .... Then, I put the headphones on and record and it's about the same.

When I sing, though, there's some sort of bad mental "switch" that gets thrown when I hit the "record" .... my thinking suddenly changes .... Doubt enters immediately ("I used to sound better") and there's little or no confidence and it goes essentially into the dumpster. There's such a huge difference, I've given up. So much easier to get someone else to sing on my recordings (I know a bunch of good singers).:dontknow:

Turtle

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA

I think YOU just solved YOUR problem -- in my opinion that is.
    a lot of my performance evaluation is that --- the confidence level is an issue. for instance when we had a joint rehearsal with the local high school -- the 2 conductors who weren't conducting at the moment -- came by and sat next to me in the 3rd trumpet section --- Mind you "3rd trumpet" in the local community band is pretty much in the staff, relatively easy music ---- BUT those 2 sitting next to me --- made me nervous, and then a clam here and there. I remember I clammed a 3rd space C.
    NOW, luckily in the actual concert -- I sat with the high schoolers, NOT ON THE END of the row, but in the middle of the 3rd trumpets -- where the audience couldn't see me ---- it was my first full ensemble concert in 30 years ----- and it was AWESOME (my counting was on, my notes were on) -- no pressure I guess!!!!!!!!!

3. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Did you just dis Bachs?? ... so dissapointed in you Tom ... not really.. we perhaps... blatty? sigh

4. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    When compared to a Buescher 400, hell yeah a Bach 37 is blatty.

But my Custom Built has a similar tone character.

Tom

5. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    dis'd twice in the same thread.... where the hell is the dislike button
    the nicest reply I can come up with ... I guess all those world class symphonys love that blatty sound :)

bumblebee likes this.
  6. Lawler Bb

Lawler Bb Piano User

Oct 25, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Tom's just used to his Buescher 400 which needs a 10,000,000 candlepower spotlight on it to "light up". It just doesn't resonate like a Bach. Nothing wrong with that.

For the record, Bach's aren't blatty. Some trumpet players are blatty. It's just like the old saying (and t-shirt in Happy Gilmore), "Guns don't kill people, I kill people".

7. VetPsychWars

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Thanks Eric... not to mention about none of you play Bach 37s... I like Eric's Bach 72. It's not blatty. :-)

Tom

8. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I play a Bach 43, and played a 37 years ago. There's nothing blatty about them in the hands of someone who knows how to play.

About performance anxiety, one thing I hate to do is record. Not messing around at home, but at a studio when the meter is running. You know any errant noise you make will be recorded, and a mistake will ruin the take for the rest of the group. Of course, you can record multiple takes and edit out the bad stuff most of the time, but that costs money, too. The biggest difference in our CDs and our live shows is the energy - when recording, there's a tendency to play it safe and the CD shows it. Technically good (relatively speaking), but not as exciting as our live shows.

9. VetPsychWars

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Dale, I have never in my life been afraid of a performance. Starting in 5th grade when I started playing trumpet through multiple solos and so forth in school, and now in community band... no fear. Just never was. You go there, you play, and you're done. You suck or you don't.

I have more anxiety playing for one person than I do playing for tens or hundreds of persons. Always have.

I keep telling people that I don't have performance anxiety, that my issue is playing alone as well, but they refuse to believe me and keep addressing things that don't matter.

But y'all have big hearts and I appreciate that you're trying, even if you can't read.

Tom

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Have you tried the long tones? I for one don't think it's mental, or the conductor, or anything else other than if you are getting older, and we all are, your routine may have to change to just maintain what you used to have. I used to run a 6 minute mile. I cant (or won't) do that anymore. But I do know guys that do and they have to work harder to just stay where they are. Since this happens when you play music alone in the storage room, it has nothing to do with trying to blend with the section.