Mental Problems

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by VetPsychWars, May 29, 2012.

1. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Going to play some Cichowiz tomorrow!

I mean, yes.

Tom

2. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    That's my main horn Tom ... 1978 .. 37... it's clear as a lazer
    just for the record ... I get you like what you like... seriously dissagree with that desciption though
    I do like the 72* because I like like the core tone it produces.. well that I produce on it...
    but this might explain why your chops get tired ...

3. Lawler Bb

Lawler Bb Piano User

Oct 25, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Look at your statement from another direction. Maybe all of the things people are addressing do matter. Do you have all of those things (that don't matter) "down" at a high performance level or as perfect of execution as you can have them? There's a chance that mastery of all of those things would solve your problem. I know that I'm playing devil's advocate to the extreme, but think about it for a second. Think about my question at the theoretical "50% level". Do you have all of those things at 50% mastery? Perhaps 50% would be enough to solve it. Something to think about.........

Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
  4. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I don't play a 37 because I haven't spare money these days -- I spent a long time deciding between the 37 and the 43 and though I picked the 43 it was close. Maybe in a different month I would have swung the other way.

--bumblebee

coolerdave likes this.
  5. VetPsychWars

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Of all of the things that cause me terror in life, playing in front of people is about zero.

You're just going to have to trust me on this one, my brother.

Now, playing in front of an individual... yeah, that can be an issue.

Dave, I don't know what to tell you. I don't know anything about your Bach trumpets, and quite honestly, I do not care. Some of them sound blatty to me. My Holton 48 Deluxe sounds somewhat blatty to me. My Buescher Custom Built sounds blatty to me.

Get over it.

Tom

6. VetPsychWars

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    I think I am done reading and replying. Thanks to those of you who tried. Thanks to those of you who know how to read. For those who don't? Well, you tried anyways.

I do think it was a major mistake for me to even post. I have four months until band season starts again. In that time, and perhaps with the help of a local professor/teacher, I can figure something out. The answer is probably a whole lot simpler than multiple stabbings in the dark by well-meaning people who just have to try.

Tomorrow I'm going to go play some Cichowicz and then some Gershwin. I'll make sure I use the same tones because not doing that leads to issues.

Be happy!

Tom

turtlejimmy likes this.
  7. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    The real reason I have a 37 ... I was a month into my comeback and all I had was a Bach 1530(?) .. which was blatty and not very good ( or was that just me....hmmm ) .. someone offered to sell me this horn at a price I couldn't refuse ... and it looked almost new ...
    I played a 72* the other day... and my wife and I agree ... that's the one we would like to add on ... someday.

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    and YET, an audience is a GROUP OF INDIVIDUALS ---
    sorry we couldn't help you out Tom,
    I think, somehow, you will be all right ---- that is my professional analysis ---- the first step in solving the problem, IS ADMITTING there is a problem --
    however, I am not a doctor, but I watched ER some years back ---- ROFL ROFL ROFL

9. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Hey Tom, my last post concerning performance anxiety wasn't directed a you - it was in response to the sidetrack your thread was taking.

As for your problem, I'll agree with you...if none of the answers other posters have given seem to help any, then it's probably a mental problem. A type of performance anxiety that's unconsciously linked to real music (vs. exercises) whether it's a performance in front of a crowd or just the walls of your big storage room. Playing exercises is an endeavor meant for your own good, so you are comfortable with the resulting product, as it's a means to an end. "Real" music, however, is meant for the enjoyment of an audience, and although we can enjoy playing it for ourselves, we (and the audience) have expectations of what the composer intended and how the piece should sound and we are aware when it isn't up to par. Devoting a focused effort to that end, you are wearing yourself out in the quest for perfection. The solution is to build endurance by playing music for progressively longer periods of time.

That said, it isn't uncommon to be worn out after two hours of performance, so don't be so hard on yourself...:D

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If the problem is still there in November, I'd like to take a look. I still think we have a timing issue.