Mental Problems

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by VetPsychWars, May 29, 2012.

1. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    My timing in the community band --is off -- I mean the director (of course speeds up and slows down - often) ---but the 100 BPM on my metronome, doesn't seem as fast as the band when they play 100 BPM. nonetheless -- I feel the pressure in band (of course with me --- we got no fewer than 5 music teachers in the trumpet section, a retired Marine musician, an orchestra pro, and another "big band" performer -- not too mention "little Maynard" -- some young, thin twenty something kid, who can make the trumpet look easy. ) -- I suspect my performance anxiety, or symtoms that resemble the OP, is -- for me -- peer pressure (self induced) and also effects the "confidence" level at which I play --- because when I was placed in the "high schoolers" in the joint concert --- I felt more secure --- IN GENERAL the trumpet section (and band) has some of the nicest people I have met in awhile -- very encouraging and congenial people -- NOT AT ALL WHAT I EXPECTED!!!!!

Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
  2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    KT, when you play with others that you recognize as better performers. LISTEN and surely more and more your own playing will improve. Learning is never ending.

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    OH, dont' worry Ed, I listen, and talk to them, and ask them LOTS of questions (not about equipment) but about timing issues and such. They also have comments on my playing (about good tone, and nice range, and AWESOME chromatic scales on my warmups) -- so that helps, to realize that performers are helping one another to become better ----I got some really GOOD tips from the 1st trumpet section, again they are GREAT people ---- AND ALL IN ALL the timing issues are coming together ---- after all, it has only been 30 yrs since I was in a concert band setting, and have only been at the band a mere 6 months, it is all good, it's all coming back, and it is starting to be "FUN" instead of hours and hours of "hard work" -----

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    KT, such reads as if you're having a FUNtastic time with this band. Wednesday morning spent 4 hours with a reedman (clarinet, saxes, flute and C piccolo) who had been 77th Army Field Band, Ft Sill OK) and a keyboardist sight reading songs I've never played before. Too, never in my life have I played that long and I did suffer with swollen lips through Thursday. I'm to call when I'm again available as shortly sometime this month I'll be on a "sabbatical" from TM and all else here except my wife. Still being with these men was the extreme of enjoyment for me.

If I have another 40+ year lapse in playing, the band I'll play with is Gabriel's.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
  5. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    This one gets it.

Broke my word, sorry. But Dale understands the issue, if not the cure.

Didn't play today, going to do it tomorrow instead. Gershwin is clearly the key. When I can play Gershwin like exercises... I will be golden.

(One of my grandfather's music books is a collection of Gershwin tunes. Plus I still want to do a duet with his 78 record of two Clarke Charactertistic etudes.)

Tom

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    and you see, Tom, posting actually has some therapeutic benefits -- albeit, I couldn't read, or understand the total synopsis of your problem -- I think all of us (most of us) find similiar situations in life --- mine being a comeback to music and playing in a band -- some 30 yrs later --- and I would have thought, it would come back in an instant --- but it takes time, and awareness, and learning how to overcome the cognitive sides of playing in different situations --- anyways --- alll the best to you Tom --- play and be happy!!!!!!!!!!