merry christmas and happy holiday!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by arlington, Dec 22, 2012.

1. arlington

arlington Pianissimo User

Aug 14, 2012
    Lancaster, OH
    What is your favorite christmas carol/holiday piece to play on the trumpet/cornet and why? Ill go first. Silent night. Its always been my favorite since I was a little kid.

2. melza

melza Pianissimo User

Mar 12, 2010
    Australia
    I like playing Jingle Bell Rock, or maybe I've had to play it that many times Ive convinced myself I do.I like listening to Kermit Ruffins version of Little Drummer Boy.

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
  4. Raymo

Raymo Pianissimo User

Mar 6, 2008
    Rittman, Ohio
    I've always enjoyed playing Leroy Anderson's Christmas Festival. It's a well arranged piece that is really fun to play!

5. mickvanflugel

mickvanflugel Forte User

Jul 1, 2011
    Germany
    Mine too, especially the because of the beautifully balanced Renaissance arrangement by Michael Praetorius. I did not play that on the trumpet or cornet though, but on the recorder when I was a young boy (found my way to brass only at the age of 14).

Anyway, here is a nice vocal rendition of that traditional German carol is in which you can follow the 4 voices:
    Es ist ein Ros' entsprungen (lo, how a rose) - Praetorius - YouTube

Today, having been "brassified" for a long time now, I still enjoy playing that tune, and so so my two sons (on trumpet and trombone, respectively).
    That is exactly the point. The catchy classics are timeless!

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  6. Adrianbyrne

Adrianbyrne Pianissimo User

Aug 18, 2010
    Oakville, Ontario
    Silent Night from a Jazzy Christmas.

7. BinaryHulledIon

BinaryHulledIon Piano User

Nov 23, 2012
    Spartanburg, SC
    One of mine as well.

I used to go outside every Christmas night and play "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" for the neighbors. Now I do them an equal service by using a mute.

8. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Christmas music is always my favorite. Many years ago I latched onto a salvation army carolers book that has a lot of fun stuff, and simple to play, so you can play it for hours on end. In that book is the basic "What Child Is This". There is something I cant put my finger on, but this is the one I always get serious about and put some extra vibrato into it. It speaks to me, I dont know what it says, but I feel it. Best wishes.

9. BinaryHulledIon

BinaryHulledIon Piano User

Nov 23, 2012
    Spartanburg, SC
    a.k.a. Greensleeves (circa pre-Elizabethan England). "What Child Is This" is lyrics added to it in 1865.

There was a nice variation on it in one of my books. I can't seem to find it now, though.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio