Messed up my chops

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by joejarrett, Apr 8, 2011.

1. joejarrett

joejarrett New Friend

Apr 3, 2011
    Yes guys I am reading your respondences & really appreciate your replies.
    As I said before, had been practicing for the past three months, 1-2 hrs per day and same old "sick cat, raspy" tone. Soooo, have started trying the 15 minute practice per day playing softly.
    Now, I should have stated the fact in the beginning that at the time (1994) I messed up my chops I was in my early sixties. I kept making a session once in awhile for the new few years until about six years ago whereas it had gotten to the point that I couldn't enjoy the bad tone & having a hard time playing. Now at this point I am 83. I am in excellent health, still work outside plus helping my son occasionally in his house remodeling & painting work. I realize that the old muscles do not respond like younger muscles but picking up the horn again to determine if I had damaged my chops back in 1994 to the point that I could never play again. I might mention that my execution from this time of practicing is just as good as it ever was, just trying to get the old chops to cooperate again! Will be waiting for your response to the age factor!

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Your muscles, because of your age, do not respond like younger muscles? Can I introduce you to Jack Lalanne?

Muscle, unless damaged severely from the past, should be able to come back and respond when rehabilitated appropriately. Starting back at 15 minutes a day, gently sounds like the right thing to do. How has your tone been since coming back on this less straining rehearsal pattern?

3. joejarrett

joejarrett New Friend

Apr 3, 2011
    I have only been doing the 15 minute practice thing for three days since changing from the one hour plus practice time that I had been doing for the past almost three months so haven't noticed any change yet. I will stick with this for awhile as I want to give this every chance to work. Thanks

4. joejarrett

joejarrett New Friend

Apr 3, 2011
    Oh yeah gmonady, noticed that you have some Olds trumpets. I had a 1962 Olds Recording model with the indented second valve stolen from me in 2005. I bought it new in 1962 & in 2002, sent it off & had it completly overhauled. I imagine the person who stole it didn't realize what they had & sold it for a few bucks to buy drugs, etc. so someone, somewhere wound up with a hell of a good deal!

Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
  5. CaptainAddy

CaptainAddy Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2010
    Camden County, GA
    Oh yes, we love us some Olds trumpets- great stuff there!

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Give it another week or so at 15 minutes a session ONLY. If you still do not come back to baseline AND you are experiencing no pain at this time, it could well be that the damage was done in the distant past. So report back in another week, and if you are still having difficulty reaching an acceptable tone, let me know.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Yeh, this is a totally unque horn and the offset second valve is a major contribution to this uniqueness. It's so great that you kept the horn up. Did you have any trouble replacing the second valve, and if so, how does it play? You will find you are in a lot of company with Olds owners.

8. joejarrett

joejarrett New Friend

Apr 3, 2011
    Sorry that you must have misunderstood my reference to the offset second valve in your reply. I had no problem with it, just mentioning that the 1962 Olds Recording Model that I had stolen had the offset second valve. No particular problems when I had it all redone, mainly wanted to restore it to look like again as it did have a few small dents so decided to have the valves redone also.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Sorry for the confusion. Now this makes sense. I was thinking, what would someone want with a Recording 2nd valve unless it was an unscrupulous Olds Recording player that ruined their own valve. But that scenario is impossible as ALL OLDS players are the best, most giving (not taking) people on God's Green Earth!

Anyway, don't forget, let me know how you're doing in about another week.

10. hichez

hichez Pianissimo User

Jul 13, 2009
    Ok I see the problem joejarret. You are trying to measure improvement within days and weeks. Improvement happens over months and years. Just give it some time.