Messed up my chops

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by joejarrett, Apr 8, 2011.

1. joejarrett

joejarrett New Friend

Apr 3, 2011
    Hi again, well it been a little over a week since I started doing the 15 minute practices. I do a 15 minute practice spread out over three times a day instead of the longer practices I was doing in the past. I warm up slowly (as the first few notes I blow are rather weak & thin) but then become more clear & stronger. Before I messed up my chops I would grap my horn, hit a few notes & go, which now I know was wrong. I have no pain in my lips during any of the three 15 minute practices a day & feel like I could go longer but cut it off. However, I still have that "split tone" sound that some of you described, (a little raspy & slightly not in tune sound) but as time passes I hope it will go away, maybe not?

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I might offer another possibility,
    when we are at the end of our "natural" playing, it is possible to keep going. This twisting of the face and body naturally will take its toll on sound quality. If the poster had a couple of gigs, playing sessions like this, then it is very possible that a much less relaxed approach has taken over and only needed the switch to be flipped at the last gig. This can also happen when we change our practice routine!

The solution is to retrain the correct habits, which is often easier said than done when we consider all of the body use when playing. I have helped several players with similar problems and we did some "crazy" things to help prove the point. Here a sample:

Take a long hot bath (>20 minutes) - with the lights out. No reading, music or anything else. Just relax. When you are done, take a glass of tap water and start playing long tones (not in the bathroom though), with a sip between each one. See what happens to your sound. A long tone per my definition starts softly with no tongue attack, gets louder, then softer until the air is spent.

Did it work? Then keep doing it for a couple of weeks. Cleanliness of soul and body, cleanliness of tone. Come back for more.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    At this point, I cannot offer any better advice then the one above. Sounds like a real solid rehab plan to me. If you should start fatiguing as you expand the work out as noted above, I would recommend seeing an oral facial surgeon for their opinion as to having a correctable problem.

4. joejarrett

joejarrett New Friend

Apr 3, 2011
    Thanks for the tip, I will definitely give it a try.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2011