Messed up my chops

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by joejarrett, May 31, 2011.

1. joejarrett

joejarrett New Friend

Apr 3, 2011
    Back on April 8 I posted on Trumpetmaster with the same title I am using now. At that time I had been trying to build up my chops for around three months & still had what I called a "sick cat" tone. I orginally had a great clear tone. Reading my April post will explain what happened orginially. Anyway, I have continued with my daily practicing which consists of an hour to an hour and a half each day. Two people posted an explanation back in April as to what probably caused my problem, their user names were Gmonady & TrumpetMD & I believe they are doctors. They both agreed that I had developed a "split tone" by overdoing it in a gig I played after laying off playing for several years. At this time my chops are strong enough to allow me to practice the hour or so each day in 30 minute intervals but I still have the "sick cat" or "split tone", maybe not as much as originally but still sounds out of tune to a certain degree. I believe it was Gmonady who wanted me to reply as to how things were going so I wanted to oblige.

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Hey Joe, her's your original post so others can re-read.
    http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f131/messed-up-my-chops-60585.html
    Glad to see you are keeping at it and not just throwing in the towel. If your tone is still "sick catlike", try working on long tones. As you are playing, try to change the sound to something more pleasant. When you get the tone you want, then work in that direction with the rest of your practice.
    As has been said many times before, tone is the most important thing. Remember to relax and not create tension.:thumbsup:

3. joejarrett

joejarrett New Friend

Apr 3, 2011
    Thanks alot Tobylou8 for the encouragement. You know I feel that my age (83) is not helping, however, I feel that my execution is just as good as it was thirty years ago for whatever that is worth! LOL

4. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Try this, it has worked for me and others.
    When you practice,practice very soft, p or pp only.
    Use as little pressure as possible.
    Rest often, at least as long as you play, say 5 min. on, 5 min. off.
    Do all this while using a very tight mute, preferably a tight practice mute.

Try this for a week. Then use the mute only for your warm up, but continue playing everything soft. Using the mute is for therapeutic purpose's only,and not meant to be used forever. Practicing soft is forever.

Last edited: May 31, 2011
  5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Solid advice!:thumbsup:

6. joejarrett

joejarrett New Friend

Apr 3, 2011
    Thanks to you Al, I have noticed that playing softly tends to improve the tone slightly, just hadn't tried the mute. Reason I noticed the slight improvement was that I hooked up a mike to a small "Blues Junior" amp & played into it, this resulted in my not having to blow very loud.

7. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Hi Joe, I'm happy my advice helped. Actually I discovered the mute thing by accident. Later on I found the mute thing in Reinhardt's "Encyclopedia of the Pivot System",he called it "The Stuffy Mute Routine",and Bob McCoy called it mute therapy.

8. MTROSTER

MTROSTER Piano User

Jan 25, 2007
    Canada
    Joe, here's another MD with his two cents worth. To me it sounds as if you're trying too hard, and trying to alter too many variables. It's sort of like trying to fix a bad golf swing and getting increasingly frustrated. Relax and go back to basic principles.:cool:
    Dr. Mike

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    83? - maybe your right, at your age you can only push so much. BUT that reminds me of my co-workers mother (Dorothy) she is 83 and walks at the minimum of 3 miles everyday -- even in the middle of winter and summer heat. My co-worker and I are in our mid forties --- and WE both agree that we would be hard pressed to walk 3 miles and keep up with Dorothy. SO I say -- play and be happy!!!!!!!!! long soft tones really help a lot of us to relax, improve our sound, focus, and sometimes even see the problem within ourselves.

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Try playing after a hot shower or bath. Sometimes the added relaxation works wonders!