Messy solder job on a silver horn

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SmoothOperator, May 5, 2011.

1. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    I have recently acquired a silver cornet that has had some work done to it. The soldering was especially poor around where the bell and lead pipe braces connect to the valve block. It looks to me like either excess lead solder or melted siler finish in little globs, though I expect it is solder because it is oxidizing. Is it feasible to remove the globs? The job isn't exremely horible maybe a 1/4 to 1/2 inch around the joint, but I certainly notice it. Also there are tiny places where the silver has been worn through, is there any way to touch those up? In general the finish is amazing for a 40 year old horn so I'm not complaining, but it might be worth doing the little cosmetic touch ups.

2. sach7581

sach7581 New Friend

Mar 14, 2008
    Knoxville, Tennessee
    All that can be fixed. My repair guy said that when he repairs the silver it looks good but after about a year you can see a difference in color. Cleaning up the solder should be no problem.

3. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    If the repair tech used lead solder, the lead in the solder leeches out in to the finish of the horn causing staining. When soldering on silver plate, use low temperature silver solder.

4. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Take it to a repair tech and see if they can help you.