method book for strength+tone

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Tammerman175, Jun 21, 2008.

1. Tammerman175

Tammerman175 New Friend

Oct 19, 2007
    I have just realized how bad my chops were being abused (too much lip pressure) and have had to re-organize the way I practice.
    However I have had to do this without a proper tutor/teacher.
    I have about 3 months in which to find the proper way to play until my school starts up again. I am currently practicing playing while pouting my lips out (as opposed to curled in), with as little pressure as possible.
    I was wondering which method book I should use to improve. I'm not looking for a shortcut, just something to help me get better tone and range.
    Anyone have any recommendations?

2. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

Clarke book
    if you use it for tone, it will give you it, plus if you don't have it, you should :D

3. MJ

MJ Administrator Staff Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Naptown
    Arbans and a good teacher should do the trick.

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    My vote would be for Stamp.

By the time everybody here is through, however, you'll have played through every book there is!:cool:

5. Luis M. Araya

Luis M. Araya Pianissimo User

Jul 24, 2005
    James ThompsonĀ“s Buzzing Book

6. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    try the Maggio System For Brass

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The recipe for strength and tone is not in a book, it is between your ears.

Any one of the popular methods has given the cooperative player additional "features" - AFTER they realized that shedding time is critical. Don't get tied up on any one book. Practice whatever your teacher gives you (especialy slurs, long tones and bends) twice as much as they expect and you will for sure on the right road!

8. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    Have a look here: Welcome

Both in english and very soon NORWEGIAN! :play:

9. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Bloomin Untidy Musician Piano User

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire
    Two things i find beneficial for tone and endurance is;
    Cat Anderson 20min g on the stave ppp exercise with a harmon mute. It is bloody difficult, but i think it is a matter of building it up. I can comfortably do 10mins.

Alan Vizutti long tones exercises. These are great for making your embouchure and breathing work more efficiently across the registers.

I think one of the first challenges for increasing stamina, is learning to play relaxed with the mouthpiece on your lips for significant amounts of time. IMHO stamina is not just about building strength, but getting your embouchure feeling comfortable with having the mouthpiece on your chops for stretches of time and the sensation of buzzing for stretches of time.

Do not underestimate the power of long tones. I regretfully did for many years.

10. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Bloomin Untidy Musician Piano User

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire
    i forgot to mention, i do them everyday now. When i get lazy, i notice the difference.