method book for strength+tone

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Tammerman175, Jun 21, 2008.

1. Smirnus

Smirnus New Friend

Jun 24, 2008
    The O.C., CA
    Get the horn off your face if you've been using for leverage against your chops. Work on your breathing, then lip buzzing, lip buzz, fingering horn or knuckles on your other hand, then buzz mouthpiece. Start jogging, swimming or cycling to build up your wind away from the horn.

I went through many teachers but the best advice I got was from a fr. horn orchestra director, to blow straight ahead so my air was focus straight through the mouthpiece, into the leadpipe, not up or down.

I decided not to mess with my lips anymore, just to blow straight ahead (w/o mp) then gradually focus my lips to support the air and eventually get a buzz. If I focused the air up or down I started over. When I got the buzz down, I added the mp. If I could buzz mothpiece, remove it and air still went straight ahead, I added horn. After I got the habit set, attacks were consistent, moving between notes no longer scary. Hope this helps.

2. Tammerman175

Tammerman175 New Friend

Oct 19, 2007
    Thanks everyone for the help.
    I ended up getting the maggio system, and it has helped me a lot! My tone has improved dramatically and my strength and range has never been better.
    I tried what you suggested Smirnus, about starting with air and focusing it so that it went straight ahead, and that helped me a lot too. thanks for your guys' help!