Method book suggestions

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dreads, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Dreads

Dreads New Friend

Jun 9, 2010
    Can someone recommend a book with some studies that will help with getting a beautiful tone in all registers? I have Arbon and Clarkes technical studies.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  2. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    Your ear?

3. Dreads

Dreads New Friend

Jun 9, 2010
    thanks

4. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I like the Schlossberg book - it will stretch your range both high and low, which tends to fortify the notes in between.

5. tromj

tromj Piano User

Jun 4, 2005
    Teaneck, NJ
    Work on getting good steady long tones.Get used to your best sound. Then work through some basic etudes, like the first Sigmund Hering Etude book, even if you think they are not challenging enough, and try and keep your "good" sound on every note. Play them slowly enough so that all you are thinking about is making a song.

6. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    It's not about what to practice or the why you practice it, It's about the how to do it. That needs to be shown in real time in person. ie. lessons with a knowledgeable, experienced teacher. The two books you have are the main ones I use with my students.

7. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    The technical studies can help with fingering, tonguing, lip slurs, scales and the like. But, tone come from within. It takes a long time to be able to hear -and control - the slight differences that change and improve the tone. I have found that the best way is to add to your practice - not replace it - some familiar music. It turns out if you have or can obtain a hymn book there are a lot of pieces in there that are familiar, easy to play and designed for the singing voice and playing them as you would sing them allows you to focus on tone, phrasing, and dynamics. The Arbans book has some easy pieces - solos and duets - towards the back that work for this as well. Play them often and just listen for good sounds to come out. It takes time and progress is not constant.

Good luck.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Tone is built with TUNES not method books. Grab a hymnal or fake book and just start playing tunes. If there is a beutiful bone in your body, those "easy tunes" will let you find it.

9. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    All good suggestions,I would also recommend a book of flexibilities such as the Chas. Colin "Advanced lip Flexibilities" . I also like play-along books with CD's, they help you to play in tune, keep steady tempos ,plus can also be fun to play.

10. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I really like the Snedecor etudes - they help me center myself and sound pretty. They're fun to play, too :)