Method Books ?ARBAN?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by lovevixen555, Dec 31, 2008.

1. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    Ok so I am not impressed with my son's paper thin Method Book and I have not seen anything that wowed me at Marshall's Either? Would it be worth while to get an old Arbans Trumpet Method book? I seem to remember that being the book all other's are judged by. I would use it as much as him maybe more so really since he has a band teacher and all Ihave is myself.

2. jason_boddie

jason_boddie Piano User

Dec 26, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    they do call it " The Trumpet Players Bible". Which book is he using now?

3. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

It has everything that you will ever need
    There are other books you can use that also help greatly, but the arban's has everything you could need
    I'd say get it

4. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    I believe there's a free version of the Arban's book floating around online somewhere.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Arban is the standard by which all other methods can be judged. There is "almost" everything one needs. What is missing is the chapter on jazz.

It is a CONSERVATORY method and was written to be taught with a teacher not as a DIY adventure.

6. simonstl

simonstl Pianissimo User

Nov 25, 2008
    Dryden/Ithaca, NY
    Also, is he ready for Arban? You definitely need to be able to play basics before you hit, say, Study #4.

7. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    Well I want it for me. I figure I di play a musical intrument starting at 4 all the way until I was about 18 or 19. I started on Guitar at 4 and played that until about 9 then I played percussion and recurder until I was 11 or 12 then I started on brass winds. So I figure anything I do not get I can always ask you guy's on here or look for it on Youtube. Since I was trained once before I mostly want to make sure I do a good job re-learning. It is not like I am going to go audition for Juliards in a year after reading Arbans and practiceing!!!LOL My son has a teacher and it is not me! I am just here to help him along. Like on his chop's and tongueing and when he is sharp or flat or rushing a piece etc.......I am not driveing 100+ miles each day to find a teacher sorry it is just not happening ROWUK. Second if you do not have something positive to say I just as soon you keep your comments to your self. I do not need you of all people busting my chop's every time you post inone of my thread's about something not being a DIY propasition. If it bother you so much I will let you find me a local teacher and pay for my leason otherwise can it. I know you will not put your money where your mouth is so that show's me you are all talk!

Westview1900 Thanks for the link!

"Off Topic for ROWUK"
    Lucky for you Rowuk improveing one's charcter and manners is very much a DIY project. In fact you can even teach yourself to be friendly and constructive in a conversation at the same time! It does require a bit of patients since you have to be in the same room with yourself and time and some effort! You might start with the book "I AM OK YOUR OK" then maybe move on to the Anthony Robbins self help program's their are very motiovational and introspective. So if you have something constructive to say that would be better which I doubt because you obviously have a problem with me but I cannot stand Elitiest like yourself. But notice I do not go out of my way to find you and be criticle of you I always wait for you to start it with you snide remarks. And to think you had the nerve or audacity to give me an infraction. I still cannot believe you had the audacity to give me an infraction when you yourself are so full of ville mean spirtited remarks. Just because the words you use are in good order does not change the intent which is to be mean spirited. You must really hate yourself? I gurantee their are more non-eliteist non-expert regular Joe's on this site then their are people like you!

Oh and again your antics are not detering me from enjoying an otherwise great sight minus you! In fact I often agree with most of your post's when not in my thread's since in mine you are never constructive you just like to act like a not so nice guy. Get over yourself and if you do not have anything constructive to say please stay away my thread's becasue you just getting in the way of an otherwise excellent thread!

8. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    I don't see a single insult from Rowuk in this thread, and nothing he has said to you so far hasn't been deserved.
    Your posts are illegible. The information you give out is questionable.
    I find myself having the same frusterations a lot of TM members are having about your postings.

9. jason_boddie

jason_boddie Piano User

Dec 26, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    Wow, that was awkward!!!!

Trying to get back on topic. I bought an Arbans to get back in the game. However, I found it to be to big of an undertaking at first. So, I went out and bought a Rubanks Indermediate Edition. I will work through that, and hopefully that will take me to the Arbans.

It is an exercise in the Rubanks that I have a question about.

Page 37. The "America" theme and variation exercise. I obviously am ok with the theme. However, on each of the variations I am struggling to bounce back up to the melody notes. I noticed that each of the melody notes are accented. Do I just need to crush those, or is it an air thing, or a slotting issue?

I am at a lose. It gets better each time I play it, but it doesnt sound very "musical".