Method Books

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by john7401, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    First, there is no such thing as a mouthpiece upgrade, the only reason to change mouthpieces is to change tone quality or for comfort, as far as method books go you really do need a private teacher to guide you , different players progress at different speeds and have different strengths and weakness', what might be hard for one player, might be easy for the next.

2. john7401

john7401 Pianissimo User

Jul 3, 2009
    Well honestly I've never used a mouthpiece other than the 7c I sarted with in 6th grade so I didnt know if I should be looking and trying other ones to see if they work better for me or not.

3. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    It may be that it will be awhile before you can start to notice any difference. I had the same trumpet for nearly 50 years so when I started my comeback I felt like there must be something better. I now have over 30 horns in the search for the "holy grail" of hardware. Most of them are beautiful and great playing models. But, none of them play better than the one I started with. In actual fact, the playing is ME - not the horns. So, if you don't notice any difference, save yourself $1000 until you have improved to the point that you will notice the difference. Then you will be able to spend that money with a bit more understanding about what it is actually buying you.

4. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I've been working the Schlossberg book about 9 months now (along with the Arban's book, of course), and I can tell a definite improvement in my ability to play evenly throughout my range, with added confidence and ease at the extremes. If you're going to be taking lessons, your teacher probably will have preferences, though.