Methods for a young beginner

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by christineka, Mar 22, 2010.

1. christineka

christineka Pianissimo User

Feb 24, 2010
    I'm planning to teach my son to play. He's 7 years old. I don't remember what method I learned with. I lean toward Arban, but it may be a bit too boring for a youngster. Do you have a favorite beginner method for a child?

2. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    The Blue Rubank books. I don't think you can go wrong with those.

3. Birthofthecool

Birthofthecool New Friend

Jan 21, 2010
    Arbans isnt tooo boring. I mean, page 13 can be a little fun....:dontknow:

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    While Arbans is great, I too think it would be far too dull to hold a beginner's interest and would advise Rubanks or like beginners books. The weigh less too! I really didn't start Arban's until I was a Freshman in High school and really didn't take it seriously until college as upon completion my first copy was falling apart. I've now my second copy.

5. Ric232

Ric232 Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2009
    Coastal GA
    I agree . . . hold off on Arban's. My teacher didn't start me on that until 7th grade.

6. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    "A Tune a Day" or "Learn as You Play", both good for beginners.
    "The only no Mystery guide to Trumpet Mastery" by Greg Spence, with a CD of all the exercises.

Regards, Stuart.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I liked Breeze Easy. The real challenge is making that jump from beginner to intermediate to advanced. For the intermediate and advanced players the Mitchel method is awesome!

Take care, though, with starting too young. The switch from baby teeth to permanent has ruined some young talents!

8. simonstl

simonstl Pianissimo User

Nov 25, 2008
    Dryden/Ithaca, NY
    I also liked Breeze Easy, and also remember the disruption caused by losing baby teeth. That was really weird, though not nearly as painful as braces.

9. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    I still use the Breeze Easy Books by John Kinyon. But at his age you can do alot by just playing for him and letting him figure it out. make it an easy father son play time. he'll stay with it longer. Oh and have a LOT of patience!

10. christineka

christineka Pianissimo User

Feb 24, 2010
    His father plays woodwinds. :cool: He's so worried about his precious reeds and keys that he doesn't let the kids try his instruments. None of the kids seem particularly keen on the clarinet or the bassoon. I'm the mom and I have taught my kids how to buzz. They don't seem to think that buzzing into a mouthpiece is all that fascinating. I lost my eldest girls' interests, but my son still like the brass instruments. I figure we'll have to work on blowing into the instrument and being able to reach c, d, and e before bothering to read music. I may just write my own stuff for a while. I wasn't sure if there was anything particularly exciting out there like there are for piano methods.