Metronome

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by xjb0906, Oct 7, 2011.

1. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    This morning I used my metronome to work through a section Eternal Father Strong To Save . I have a real hard time hearing my metronome even with the volume turned all the way up. I ended up putting it on my shoulder while I played. Being able to hear the beat really helped with exposing areas that where slightly out of time. This allowed me to correct mistakes in very quick order. Are there metronomes on the market that are fairly loud to help a trumpet player hear the beat while practicing??

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  2. LH123

LH123 Piano User

May 14, 2010
    The loudest digital metronome I've found (I use this one) is the Apex Electronics AM1. Korg MA30 also works well. If you don't need the functions of the digital (rythms, beat patterns, etc.) the Seiko SQ50-V is a very good buy (loudest of the three).

3. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    I have had a small battery operated one for years that not only beeps but will also flash a light, in time. You can set it in front of you and don't need to hear anything. They are not too expensive. Got mine at a yard sale and my wife uses it often in her work as our church organist and choir director.

4. LH123

LH123 Piano User

May 14, 2010
    By the way, the Apex Electronics AM1 has two small red leds, the Seiko SQ50-V has one big red led, and both digital metronomes have a screen.

5. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    Thanks. I have a Korg TM-40. It beeps and has the flashing lights. I have a hard time looking at the page and seeing the little red lights flash. I need something I can hear. It helps me develop a feel for the beat. Once get a passage down with the metronome it is locked in. Until then hearing where the beat is helps me a bunch. Otherwise time becomes a little elastic for me.

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Sometimes a sound board will help, some models have an earphone out, but the best metronome is internal--try playing every quarter as a series of four sixteenths, etc. Then think those sixteenths playing the written rhythm. If in 6/8 or 12/8 think the 8th notes.

Listen to Seawind for a lesson on the importance of subdivion. Here is an example: Seawind The Devil is a liar - YouTube

7. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Forget loud - try the Peterson Bodybeat! I just got one a few months ago and love it. it vibrates, so you don't need a loud click and can concentrate on your sound. It even subdivides!

xjb0906 likes this.
  8. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    I was looking at the Peterson yesterday. Had Sam Ash had one available on thier website I would ordered one. From what I can tell they don't carry the Peterson. I have credit Sam Ash making it easier to make impulse purchases.

I see that you are a Marcinkiewicz artist!! Congrats!! The highlight of my short few years of playing has been getting a CG470 from Marcinkiewicz. It was a gift from family. Otherwise I wouldn't been able to afford it. I am so greatful.They are good people and make wonderful horns. Mine makes so many things much easier than what I used to play on.

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Plug your earphone into the jack, then watch out, as it is VERY loud. I have an MA-30 and cannot stand the loudness!

10. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    Thanks! It never occured to me that it has an earphone jack. Just tried it out and it works pretty good. I just hope I can hear enough of my sound with the earphones on. Think I will leave the right ear uncovered. Will try it once my wife wakes up and heads out to work. She works third shift on the weekends. Saturdays and Sundays are very long days for me. The horn sits in the case all day and mocks me. I am rarely able to wait until she leaves to start practicing.