Metronome

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by xjb0906, Oct 7, 2011.

1. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    None of them are very loud. I like Fluglegirl's suggestion ....

To get more volume out of your metronome, try putting it on the music stand. If it's a metal stand, you get a bump in volume. Or, plug it into an amplifier through the headphone jack. One with flashing lights can also go on the music stand and be seen out of the corner of your eye. That Korg tuner is great for tuning ..... I can't hear the metronome on it either.

Or .... get the one Flugelgirl suggested. I think I'm going to look for that one.:thumbsup:

Turtle

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I guess I'm just more sensitive, having perfect pitch and all!!ROFLROFLROFL

3. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I also use the Korg MA30. It also has an earphone jack.

Mike

4. alant

alant Pianissimo User

Aug 18, 2009
    Rochdale UK
    plug themetronome via the earphone socket into a docking station you can have it as loud as you want then! also use one of the free on line metronomes and do the same via the earphone socket on you laptop.

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Really good idea!

6. smokin valves

smokin valves Pianissimo User

Sep 11, 2011
    The bodybeat is quite good but some people, me included, are put off by it. I prefer a metronome that you can plug your headphones into, such as any metronome app on the iPhone or any other iPod.

7. krmanning

krmanning Pianissimo User

Apr 18, 2009
    Fayetteville, NC
    My old Seth Thomas wind up metronome, you know, the kind with the upright pendulum that swings back and forth, is both fairly loud and gives visual cues. Plus, its in a walnut case so it even looks good when I leave it out. I think I got it about 40 years ago the first time I auditioned for district band. And it has never needed batteries.

8. fredthewhale

fredthewhale Pianissimo User

Jun 12, 2011
    New Jersey
    if you have an iPhone, you can get a free app that simulates the Dr Beat metronome (Subdivide Metronome) and then plug in your earphone or simply follow the flashing lights. For a few dollars you can purchase the full version that allows you to save presettings, etc.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Why practice so loud that you can't hear the metronome? What possible advantage can that have for playing hymns? Why on earth would we want to give a player even MORE ability to break their playing?

Flugelgirl is a pro and has answers for HER playing situation.

When we are trying to fix broken things in our playing (imperfect rhythm is pretty basic), a hammer generally is the worst solution.

10. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    I wasn't working on hymns. I was working on pieces from the Symphonic Band. I just use this church to practice in during the week when I am off to keep from disturbing my wife's sleep. She works third shift as well. I think I have experienced some hearing loss over the years . Even at lower dynamic levels I have trouble hearing the metronome. Using an earbud is helping already.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011