Mexican workout.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by turtlejimmy, Apr 26, 2011.

1. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I had my first trumpet lesson in Mexico about a year ago from a jazz musician we met on holiday. He was on holiday with his band also, their gigs paying for the trip so everyone was having a good time. He showed me a couple of "lower face strengthening exercises", and since I haven't seen them in here, I thought I'd pass them along.

1. Face Crunches .... This is what I call it, the lesson was in Spanish so I really don't know what he was saying, but it's easy to demonstrate. Simply tense up the muscles around the mouth, into a tight lipped grimace, and hold, release, hold, release, etc. just like you're doing situps. If you try this for a minute (or less), you should feel it.

2. Tongue Circles ... Run your tongue over your top teeth and continue the circle over your bottom teeth (either in front or behind) with your mouth closed. It's harder than it sounds.

3. Fish Pops .... I don't know what else to call this one ..... Open your mouth slowly and then close it very quickly, which should result in a little pop (kind of like you get with valves:lol:) ..... That'll strengthen your jaw.

The last one involves an empty (Mexican) beer can and a shoelace but I can't recommend this one as it might be hard on your teeth.

Give em a try ... I can't really comment on how often this is recommended, or how long or any other details, like I said, it was in Spanish. He did say "Train like an athlete" (someone translated that...).

Turtle

2. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    Interesting. I can really see the benefit of Exercise #1 but I have to think more about the other two.

BrotherBACH

3. RMS

RMS Pianissimo User

Aug 5, 2010
    Iowa
    Interesting! Thanks!!

4. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Hey guys, I should point out that the crunches of #1 are intended to be done in a relaxed manner, not like a vise ..... the benefit is in the repetitions. Seems like one minute is enough to really feel it, if not you probably have chops and don't need it. Or try 2 minutes.

Just as a note, the beer can thing is essentially tying a (new!) shoelace to the pop top of an empty can (doesn't have to be a Mexican beer .... soda works fine) and then, like a long piece of spaghetti, and essentially using mouth only, slurping up the shoelace while standing until the can is at your mouth. Don't eat the shoelace, just bunch it up in your mouth.

I know .... it sounds sort of disgusting and anyway, I'm not recommending it.:lol:

Turtle

5. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    LOL, thats last workout is just too funny. I've heard of hold a pencil with your lips to build up your ambouchure (spelled right?), but never a shoe string with a beer can. I'm Mexican, so I can relate to the use of a beer can. Thanks for sharing Turtle.

6. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Hey, it's my pleasure. The lesson was free, in the plaza of a small town ... it's good to pass along what I learned there. Gracias Silvestre!

Turtle

7. The Kraken

The Kraken Piano User

Mar 28, 2007
    Gold Coast - 805
    ROFL I've been using Real Spaghetti for years!!!!!!ROFL

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I know this is going to get me back in the dog house (not sure if I was ever out) but there is a saying and from my experience it is a good saying: You get what you pay for.

How much Tequila did you guy consume before this "lesson" was dilivered?

9. Gabriel Michael

Gabriel Michael New Friend

Apr 24, 2011
    Houston, TX
    When I marched drum corps, we would do the smootch and the lion before warm-up. The smootch was, well, a smootch, but with extreme tensity. We would hold it for no specific amount of time, but long enough for it to hurt. With the lion, the mouth was wide open with the tongue stuck out. We would hold that for no certain amount of time as well, but it would hurt over time. After these you had kind of a 'pump'. I do not recall any real benefit, but it was certainly different.

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The real benefit is that all the idiots kept their mouths shut during the exercise. That gave everyone a chance to THINK!