Micheal Haydn Trumpet Concerto in D Major

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpet blower88, Jul 18, 2005.

1. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I recently bought the Wynton Marsalis "The London Concert" Cd, and first of all let me say that I am amazed. I never realized just how good he was, haha.
    My question is: Track number 12 is the Micheal Haydn Concerto. The booklet that comes with the cd says that this piece has the highest note written for trumpet in this period. Does anyone know what that note is?

When I was listening to it, I didn't really think it was that high. Don't get me wrong, it's still higher than I will ever be able to play, it just dosn't seem high enough to be considered the highest note written for trumpet in that period.

So I have two questions:

1) Does anyone know what note that is?

and

2) Has anyone ever performed this piece before? If you have, you are my new favorite person.

2. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    1. It is a Concert "A" above high C

(The Brandenburg's highest note is a concert "G" above high C)

2. I have personally never heard this piece performed live, but Andre recorded it more than once.

3. timcates

timcates Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2004
    Texas - USA
    the Michael Haydn is on the Baroque Music for Trumpets CD, not the London Concert - Mikey is correct - the note in the M. Haydn is concert A above "high C" (written C above the staff on Piccolo in A)

4. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    As yet I have never played this in concert (I would love to sometime when my piccolo playing is on top form), but I did take it long to a lesson at university, once - my teacher said that if I ever took it along again he would probably kill me :lol:
    He didn't like the extreme register :oops:
    If you want a real laugh, try playing it on a D trumpet - I did that when bored once - never again!

5. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    The first time I heard Wynton's recording of this, I darn near wet my pants. Especially that arpeggiated cadenza in the last movement, starting on tuning note A and ascending to D-F#-A-D-F#-A (concert pitch).

Unreal..........

:oops:

6. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    Well, imagine trying to play it on nat!! :-o :shock:

7. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    Jack - oddly enough, I tried this at an ITG - I actually found it easier than on a valved D - please note easier, not easy - still mind-blowingly stupid idea - great way to stuff up your chops for the rest of the day (which I did) - not something to do when there is a young lady with you (which there was :oops: ) - she won't appreciate your chops being completely screwed up (she didn't :-( ).

8. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    I first encountered the Michael Haydn on a Adolph Scherbaum recording. He was an amazing player.
    I heard Wynton play it in his apartment before he recorded it. The kid has chops :-)
    Wilmer

9. jeff_purtle

jeff_purtle Pianissimo User

Jun 7, 2004
    Greenville, SC
    Wynton is great.

Have you heard Maurice Andre's recording?
    It is great too.

Jeff Purtle

10. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

Ken Robinson plays it great. It will be on his next recording. His first album is excellent.

http://www.kgrmusic.com/