Micheal Haydn Trumpet Concerto in D Major

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpet blower88, Jul 18, 2005.

1. rjzeller

rjzeller Forte User

Mar 7, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    stylistically I like Andre's recording MUCh better, but you can hear him visibly tire near that note. Wynton's is technically superior but I don't like the style as much and it doesn't feel as warm to me.

As for playing it. Ugh. I have it in my bag of stuff and pull it out every now and then. Only on the Picc can I even come close, and you'd be doing yourself a disservice to play with the Bb shank considering the Key. I also tried it on a D trumpet...good lord. Either the D trumpets of the era were different, or whomever Haydn wrote it for had God's chops, because it's murder on the D.

The Leopold Mozart is another tough one, but far more playable. I think I'll stick with that for now. But the M. Haydn is by far my most favorite trumpet concerto out there....

2. trumpetpimp

trumpetpimp Piano User

Dec 6, 2003
    Toronto
    All trumpets of that time were natural. I think I'd be more terrified of the runs in the second movement without valves than of the double "C" in the first.

3. fundenlight

fundenlight New Friend

Aug 2, 2005
    I love the Michael Haydn. Personally, Wynton's recording does not in any way shape or form compare to Maurice's. His recording of it, despite the kind of fluffed A, is way more musical and he sings the entire time. As for that being the highest note ever written, it is as far as classical music is concerned. Jazz has been known to go higher.

4. timcates

timcates Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2004
    Texas - USA
    andre actually recorded it at least twice. on one (which I heard first in high school) he is running out of steam on the high A - on the second, he sails right through the high A with an amazing crescendo - still makes my jaw drop when I hear that version....

TC

sorry I don't have physical copies anymore (they're all on the iPod now and I lost the CD's years ago)

5. bachstrad72

bachstrad72 Pianissimo User

May 9, 2007
    Philly
    here it is

Amazon.com: Trumpet Concertos: Music: Tomaso Albinoni,Johann Sebastian Bach,Domenico Cimarosa,George Frideric Handel,Franz Joseph Haydn,Michael Haydn,Benedetto Marcello,Gottfried Heinrich Stolzel,Giuseppe Tartini,Georg Philipp Telemann,Giuseppe Torel

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I have played it twice (with the picc in my avatar). The trick is to not open up too early. Personally, Wynton's version does more for me. It is not as "smooth" as Maurice Andrés version and I like that.

I am sure that M. Haydns trumpet player back then had great high chops, probably the Maynard of his day.

I find that register EASIER on the baroque trumpet, the partials are so close together, you don't have to worry about lipping up or down and the blow is pretty even.

7. trumpetdiva1

trumpetdiva1 Piano User

Jun 6, 2004
    Albuquerque
    I do like Wynton and Maurice Andre’s recording of it. On the first movement, I followed my trumpet teacher’s suggestion and took the part right before the double C down an octave. So, I went to high G and then played lower A, B, and C. So, yes, I performed it before. I played the first and second movement for my graduate recital in December 1994 at Ball State University. The same year I performed the second movement for recital hour, for Susan Slaughter in a lesson, a master class for Charles Daval (former principal of four or five major orchestras), a master class for John Aley (formerly of the American Brass Quintet), and an audition for the Wright Patterson Air Force Band. The trick for me was being able to play it on tired chops or two or three times through on fresh chops before a performance. This gave me the confidence to know that I could get through it once up on stage.

Here is the direct link to my clip of the second movement made about four years ago, which is licensed by the Harry Fox Agency:
    http://static4.mathcs.wilkes.edu/Gems/trumpet/02M.HaydnConcertoforTrumpet.mp3
    (It is somewhat rough and in need of finessing as I was playing mostly lead trumpet at the time of this recording).

Enjoy!

Janell Carter
    Trumpet Corner

Last edited: Jul 25, 2007
  8. dizzyizzy

dizzyizzy Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2006
    VA
    Say what you will about Wynton...but I have ALL of his "classical" CD's and most of his "jazz"...DARNED talented individual to excell at both. When you switch from say his New Orleans historical stuff to one of those classical ones, (back to back)...WOW. HIs repetorial range is just amazing.

I've also got a decent amount of Andre', but I haven't heard a CD of him doing "jazz"...probably missed that one.

9. sdfbailey

sdfbailey New Friend

Jul 26, 2007
    Tipton, nr Birmingham, UK
    I love this concerto. I performed it a few years ago in college - got the top note that time so will probably never do it again! Intrigued by the idea of playing it on a Nat but I'm trialling an Egger 1 mouthpiece at the moment so best to leave that alone for the time being.

Marsalis' recording is indeed amazing, but it is rather unauthentic to take a breath before the last two notes of the phrase. Nevertheless, as recordings of this one goes - it's a beaut. Unlike many of his other baroque recordings, the ornamenations are pretty tasteful too. André's recordings are both delightful, if a little too romantic. It's a German concerto - not a French one!

My favourite recording is Reinhold Friedrich's (anyone who's seen my postings on the Brass Forum will know that I'm his biggest fan). He sails up the sequence so effortlessly - and the phrase makes sense. Brilliant.

CC10436 - Johann Hummel - Reinhold Friedrich - Crotchet Web Store