Microphones

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rdt1959, Aug 11, 2005.

1. rdt1959

rdt1959 Pianissimo User

Oct 31, 2003
    Georgia
    Hello all. After 2 1/2 on the comeback trail, I finally got into a band that actually performs! (jazz, blues, rock and fusion). Now, I have some heavy duty learing to do!

I will be playing trumpet, keyboard and light percussion (hopefully in that order!). I need to purchase some equipment, and know absolutely NOTHING about microphones. I would like to do some research into microphones before I walk into the local music store. Not that I don't trust the folks there...they have not steered me wrong yet...but they ARE salemen after all!

The microphone I need will be used for trumpet, light percussion (claves, guiro, etc) and possibly backup vocal.

Does anybody have any advice for me before I go looking to buy one? I am kind of hoping that somebody will know of a good web site that I can look at to learn a little about this stuff.

Thanks in advance.

2. fatpauly

fatpauly Pianissimo User

Nov 11, 2003
    Ellicott City, Maryland
    If its for stage work, then the Shure SM57 will do what you want and not break the bank.

For recording work, you have a lot more models and factors to consider. I like a ribbon mic for instruments, but you probably don't want to spend $1000 for the one I have. Other ribbons are available cheaper, but you also have condensors and dynamics to consider.

Some people have reported good results using mics designed for drums - things like the Audix D5 and Sennheiser E604s. Never tried them myself, but I am not surprised.

However, with critical recording work, you might be better served spending your money on better mic preamps and getting a lesser mic.

All I have stated above is the tip of the iceberg. Good luck!

- Paul Artola
    Ellicott City, Maryland