Mid-back Pain

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tpter1, Mar 8, 2005.

1. Aldrich

Aldrich New Friend

Feb 25, 2011
    Hey fellow you should have some medical advice from a specialized physician and cured it completely..... You have to pay full attention upon it and don't take it easy as it create's the problem for you while bending down.... So I suggest that you must need some medical treatment.....

2. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    Well, he might have got some successful treatment because
    he hasn't mentioned the problem for the last 6 years....

3. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    roflrofl

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    +2 roflrofl

5. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Let's not be too hard on a newbie...After all, there is a very easy fix for this if the webmaster wants to make it. Simply put the date of the original post on the thread page. It's really easy to not realize that one needs to look at the date of the post after going into the post pages. It takes a few times being beaten up about it to start remembering. It's especially hard to remember this when there is a "Trojan" ad at the top of the page - very distracting.

At the same time, a more elegant solution is for the "Zombie Thread" graphic (we have all seen it) to pop up when someone starts to reply to a post that is more than, say, 2 years old.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Not only am I a trumpet player, I am also a physician (internist and pediatrician BOTH). So if you want free advice [I was told by a mentor that the quality of advice you receive from physicians is directly proportional to the price paid for the service] then here is what I recommend.

First of all, it is most likely strain, but a straight leg raise if a valuable exam to perform to make sure there is no additional neurological risk. My first question is did the PA do a straight let raise? I did not read as such in your quote above. If not, do it yourself. Lift one leg at least 60 degrees angle from the hip, while laying flat on a hard surface. Then return the leg to a level position. Then repeat with the other leg.

If BOTH leg raises caused electric pain between 30 to 60 degrees of flexing that goes all the way down your leg to the feet or toes then you should be going to physical therapy right away. If not, then I recommend the following:

Start on Willow Bark Extract (it’s actually in pill form sold at health food stores). In randomized control trials against medicines such as ibuprofen, naproxen, even prescribed narcotics, nothing out performs Willow Bark. Take at least 200 mg a day (doses will vary from 180 mg to higher, depending on the manufacturer).

If the pain continues after a month, you then need to rehab your back, usually with Physical Therapy. However, I have found in my patients that a product you can buy (Bed Bath and Beyond) that works wonders is a device called the Back-2-Life. Many of my patients have responded to this (and it is an extension as to the exercise course PT provides). This device gradually decompresses the vertebral pressure resulting from the forces created by muscle spasm. In other words, it breaks a pain spasm cycle. It does cost about $200, but it may be worth the investment.

Do note that I said it gradually decompresses. That means you MAY need to be using the machine daily for a couple of weeks be for total resolution of pain. Also, for the next 6 weeks after pain totally resolves, be careful at performing quick motions (bending down with only 2 bar rest to put in that mute could be harmful) or twisting motions.

Hope this free advice is worth more than its cost to you.

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Obviously, gm didn't read your post. The OP hasn't been here since 11-3-09. It's good advice though.:lol:

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Ooops, just read the date and the posts mentioning he is 6 years out. Oh, well, either the pain resolved soon after his post (which is typically the case in 70% of patients) or my advice was 6 years too late, and poor OP reached his demise in 11/09. Let's hope not.

I will read the dates of original posts from here on out.

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I've done it more times than I care to remember.:oops:

10. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    It's real easy to miss the date of the original posting. Almost a rite of passage at TM...