mid range

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by street, Jul 8, 2014.

1. street

street New Friend

May 31, 2012
    I have a friend who is a fine trombone player--performance major- who for the last several months has lost his mid range. He can play the high notes and the low register, but can't play the mid range. He is very frustrated. Has anyone out there ever experienced this and if so how did you resolve it?

thank you

:-o

2. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Seems that guy is overworked and needs a complete rest from playing for a few days.

3. street

street New Friend

May 31, 2012
    He is an optometrist now and plays with our brass group. We practice 3 times a week. I don't know how much he has time to play other than that.

4. strad116055

strad116055 Pianissimo User

May 27, 2014
    chicago
    he could be just tired. too much mid-range blowing at a loud dynamic level will also tend to do that to a person. i have 2 suggestions. slow easy flexibilities that go through the mid-range and working on real nice clean attacks at a mezzo piano volume in the mid range might also help.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I have actually seen it in lower brass players more often than with trumpeters.

The problem is that their breathing sucks and to play high, they change the embouchure from when they play low - leveraging the lips against the mouthpiece. I see this a lot when weak embouchures and marching band come together!

The solution is to merge the two playing methods. That has a short term disadvantage of losing the upper range until new habits are built. The method is to play lots of SOFT scales, longtones and lipslurs. Soft is critical to keeping force down and learning to let the notes ride on the air.

6. corona

corona Pianissimo User

May 6, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Here here.

It's easy to play loud relatively well, but harder to play well relatively soft.

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Lately, I think I have entered the "Twilight Zone" as Rowuk is actually starting to AGREE WITH ME!!!! -- very interesting concept for that old fella. But, as a trumpet player primarily and a "doubler" on the trombone with moderate success at a community band level anyhow -- I can concur that Rowuk is definitely got some realistic advice here. my experience is that when "I get tired in a practice" -- cause I primarily practice both instruments, to keep both embouchures working properly ----- BUT when I get tired, I "start cheating" on the trombone embouchure, and "adjusting my lips for high notes, and sometimes "readjusting" my lips for the low notes ----- AT LEAST I used to do that, before I figured out it was becoming detrimental --- and to DEVELOP these bad habits might not be such a good thing!!!!! --- -so yeah, I noticed this also, you have good high notes, and low notes, because of the adjustment, BUT the mid range seems to suffer when things start getting mixed up ------------------- so have your friend definitely try long note, soft scales, from the bottom of the range, to the top --- WITHOUT CHANGING HIS EMBOUCHURE SETTING!!!!!!

8. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Could have told you that before you were even born but you had even more trouble listening back then........ ;-)

Not the twilight zone. The phenomenon is called Planetary Proximity and occurs when two bodies of completely different orbits at some point get close. Sometimes the gravitational effects are weak enough so that each goes on their way after waiving hello, sometimes the weaker object is sucked up by the one with more energy - it crashes and explodes (asteroids), sometimes a billiard effect takes place. Let's wait and see if you crash or are deflected..............

R.

Please note: this effect has NOTHING to do with black holes. That state is reserved for those changing mouthpieces. When they crash, no one even notices...........

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    lucky for me that I am (have been) on steady improvement on the trumpet for nearly 5 1/2 years now on a comeback, and steady improvement on the trombone also at 3 years from the start up!! --- I don't change mpc's, and have kept the same "style" in my Asymmetric (even on trombone) ---- so no black holes in my future, that's POSITIVE NEWS for the rest of you on TM ---------------as I am not likely to disappear from TM. You get to keep reading KT's posts. ROFL ROFL ROFL

10. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    And read them I will - but asymmetrically.